• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Dead/Dying in Sydney, Nebraska

He'll add more but it looks like changing the crankshaft sensor and cleaning the MAF fixed it.

Nope, never had/have a K&N on it. It hasn't been touched in almost 9 years though, just accumulated gunk I guess.

Nope, never had/have a K&N on it. It hasn't been touched in almost 9 years though, just accumulated gunk I guess.

it has been cleaned in the past. crankshaft sensor. Failure of the crankshaft sensor will cause the PCM/ECM to stop fueling the engine, which causes the immediate dying symptom. Unfortunately, due to it generating an AC current, it's not something you can easily bypass for "oh shit" mode driving.... which is irritating.

In any case, 444.11 later we have it diagnosed, repaired, tested, and good to go. On the road @ around 8 am tomorrow.

In any case, 444.11 later we have it diagnosed, repaired, tested, and good to go
:eek: OUCH! Did he at least give you a reach around?
Wonder what it takes to DIY on one and the actual part cost.

The perils of breakdown on the road. Safe trip the rest of the way!:thumbsup:

To actually fix the part once you narrow it down? If you have it in hand.... about 10 minutes if you have to hunt for sockets that fit. Less if you know what it takes.

To figure out when you have 12 codes tripped to run through with diagnostic testing on all of them? 4 hours of diagnostic work at $75 an hour, $85 for the part which by the way, was a blown LB7 take-off because there wasn't one available in the COUNTY and he called a guy he did an engine swap on, who kept the block. This was "Bro-Tier" hookup level in bumf--k Nebraska, for someone he didn't even know and just rolled up into the shop. This wasn't your classic "hmm haww well I dunno" mechanic, this guy was rocking 2 computers, scan tool, probing, checking every.single.connection on the block etc etc... I was there the whole time. Money well spent because honestly I had NO clue what was going on, and there were also other things.. cleaned MAF, couple loose plugs tightened, etc etc.

Money I would rather not have had to spend, but I know that many shops would have taken a couple days as well as once the fault was ID'ed, would have been at a dead end when Napa and any other parts house went "Nope, but we can have it next monday"...

Back