• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Day off- Dismantle a 6.5 truck

davo727

Reaction score
This ones my 92 C2500 parts truck, bought this from a kid for 1k.
He had put brand new heads on it and then it locked up the bottom end 2 weeks later.

It has a 599 block, havent pulled the pan off yet , it started raining as soon as I got the motor out. Has a good turbo and DB2-4911 pump.

Parts from this 8600lb gvw 8 lug truck that I will eventually swap to my gasser 93 C2500 7200lb 6 lug truck will be :

The NV4500 trans, the hydroboost brake sys, the 4.10 posi 14 bolt semi float rear, and the 8 lug front suspension and brakes.

The heads and hopefully if the block is good it will end up in the 92 Dually, but it will be a while as I need to move 35 miles north to my property and build a shop up there before any of these trucks get any real $ attention.

Attachments

• 921.jpg
    921.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 922.jpg
    922.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 62
Ha!, Ya a stack.

I will post a pic tomorrow of the comical piping job somebody did under the truck to that stack for your amusement :D

Pics of the goofy stack piping for your enjoyment :D

And the cat, she was tired after watching me work all day

Attachments

• goof1.jpg
    goof1.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 45
  • goof2.JPG
    goof2.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 45
  • cat1.jpg
    cat1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 44
I couldnt sleep so at 6 am I went outside and started tearing into the truck.

Shoved the bed off over the side by myself- dont need no stinking hoist for that.
It was beat to hell so I plasma cut it into a bunch of peices for the scrap pile.

In pic 1 , 5 of my trucks are there. You can just barely see the front of the blue 92 dually in the back. Then my gold 93 gasser, CUCV, Z71 , and the parts truck. Daughters 93 is at her house :D

Attachments

• bed2.jpg
    bed2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 38
  • bed1.jpg
    bed1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 38
Heck in Texas 6 AM is the best time to do any kind of outside work with the high summer heat.

Looks like fun, I have always wanted to play around with a plasma cutter. :thumbsup:

The 86 M1028 CUCV got in on the action, I drug the 92 over by the ditch where I had the trailer backed into. Then pulled it onto the trailer with the 86.

I have a subframe that bolts in the bed of the 86 that a hoist bolts to. It has come in very handy. I recently used it to hang a new neck on my gooseneck trailer. In this pic the front of the 92 is off the ground a little, no motor or trans so its fairly light.

Attachments

• tow1.JPG
    tow1.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 26
#1 rod bearing spun and flaking right out the side, #2 right behind it.

And of course the friggin block is cracked. One small one on a #3 outer bolt hole could be insert repaired but another crack is on #2 main web outboard of the outer bolt hole- the crack starts at the right angle recess where the main cap slips into the block so I dont think its repairable. (CRAP!!)

This is a 1992 599 block and I had hopes it would be a good one :(

Pic of the crack was blurred.

Attachments

• rod1.jpg
    rod1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 24
  • rod2.jpg
    rod2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 24
Forgot to mention on the post mortem- there was a leaf stuck on the oil pump screen blocking at least half of it. So those front 2 rod bearings were last in line and got fried.

Back