• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Dash swap

Landon730

Reaction score
Ok guys this is my craziest plan yet. I know it'll take EXTENSIVE modding but what do yall think about interior swapping a 1998 Chevy 3500 with a 2003ish interior. I like the newer interiors and would like to do carpet, seats and dash. I know that theres pretty much no way to do the door panels for the doors being different shapes but how about the dash. I know the cabs are different but would I be able to cut and join the new dash? If yall have any measurments thatd be great. Thanks for the help in advance

It can and has been done. You will have NIGHTMARES if you try to run the newer hvac system, not to mention you will have to adapt in your cluster, ac control head, switches, and an aftermarket radio since 03+ is all bcm controlled which means NONE of it will work in yours. I've seen it done, but they were all done with engine swaps that also brought over newer data coms, controllers, and a bcm. It's doable, but you're opening a serious can of worms in doing so.

It can and has been done. You will have NIGHTMARES if you try to run the newer hvac system, not to mention you will have to adapt in your cluster, ac control head, switches, and an aftermarket radio since 03+ is all bcm controlled which means NONE of it will work in yours. I've seen it done, but they were all done with engine swaps that also brought over newer data coms, controllers, and a bcm. It's doable, but you're opening a serious can of worms in doing so.

The cluster won't work off of the 5.7 Vortec? (oil pres. temp. amperes) I know its not manual gauges in these trucks but how different is the plug for the cluster? Sorry I put the wrong year I meant the dash out of one of the first year model trucks that had the same radios as the 95+ trucks

99-02 used the same 1.5 din radios, but you're still dealing in a dash setup for bcm controls vs gmt-400 with all hard wired controls. The plugs are COMPLETELY different as our clusters have a circuit for everything whereas 99-02 gmt-800 has about half hard wired and the other half bcm controlled. I've seen the 99-02 style cluster swapped into a gmt-400 95-00 style dash for swaps, but theres quite a few gaps. Any dash swap from another gen truck is going to be quite a bit of work, and is normally only done when engine and electrical swaps are also being done. Anything is possible, but its going to be some work.

99-02 used the same 1.5 din radios, but you're still dealing in a dash setup for bcm controls vs gmt-400 with all hard wired controls. The plugs are COMPLETELY different as our clusters have a circuit for everything whereas 99-02 gmt-800 has about half hard wired and the other half bcm controlled. I've seen the 99-02 style cluster swapped into a gmt-400 95-00 style dash for swaps, but theres quite a few gaps. Any dash swap from another gen truck is going to be quite a bit of work, and is normally only done when engine and electrical swaps are also being done. Anything is possible, but its going to be some work.

Sounds like I don't have the time, knowledge , or number 1 the MONEY. lol

Back