• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Dash lights out, no power at fuse 14

DieselAmateur

She ain't revved 'til the rods are thrown...
Reaction score
Turned on my lights today and the illumination lights for the cluster aren't on. All dummy lights on the cluster work, high and low beams work fine.

I had this happen once before, and noticed a bad connection at the headlight switch. Jiggling the connection fixed it temporarily and I forgot about it, but not before ordering a new headlight switch (GM part #93443101, AC Delco D1523H) and pulling a new connector from a wrecking yard. I just got done putting in the new switch and splicing in the new connector, and I still don't have illumination lights.

Seeing as how there must be a dead short somewhere, I'm wondering if anyone knows which of the 11 wires sends power to the illumination circuit. The fuse is good, and I used a test light to confirm there's no power at the fuse. From what I can see the wires running to and from fuse 14 are intact. So it's my initial assumption that a wire running to or from the switch is bad somewhere.

to clarify I'm referring to the fuse panel in the side of the dash, not under the hood.

All wiring is wrapped in electrical tape and it's a tight space in there, so before I go tearing things apart and chasing a needle in a haystack I'm hoping someone can suggest which wires to target.

thanks!

The switch is brand new, are you suggesting trying another?

All fuses are good, underhood and side of dash

Could it be possible that the illumination bulb is out and that is stopping power from getting to the fuse panel? I'm stumped

Thanks for chiming in everyone. I so appreciate how helpful everyone is on this forum

I found the culprit- turns out it was a bad fuse in the #9 location. It looked good at a glance, but further inspection showed a small bubble in the solder. Replacing it with a new one solved the issue. Woohoo! Guess next time I should really check all fuses in the daytime and not at night wearing a headlamp...

Not to be too opportunistic, but while I have your attention I have another electrical issue that has me stumped. I have power to the cigarette lighter, but the two auxiliary outlets next to it don't. This time I know all the fuses are good! Triple checked the cigarette lighter fuse and aux power fuse. Even jumped with a paper clip to be darn sure I wasn't fooled again. CSTY fuse is good too. Could this power source be tied to the ignition switch?

@twistedsteelperformance no worries on the brackets, send them this way! Got everything for the CAC, just gotta mount it so I know where to cut holes in the inner fenders :)

Umm, test fuses with a meter or testlight reading power on both sides of it to onow it’s good.
I see what you did with the paperclip- but if the fuse is blown because of a dead short, that paperclip is going toget screaming hot instantly. And don’t think the adjective screaming is anything but perfect.

been too long to remember what circuit those are, sorry.

something I suggest for everyone is get a wiring diagram for your rig even if you cannot read it yet. Having it to show to others for help makes a big difference.

The auxiliary power ports next to the under dash ashtray/cigatette lighter are powered up only when when the vehicle is. This keeps from accidentally killing the battery(ies) by leaving a running accessory (like a Koolatron or other constantly running amp draw) going with the engine off and key removed for extended periods of time (like 12 hours on a job site). Key to Run or Acc and check the ports for voltage.

Thanks for the info Husker. I have tried to run a phone charger and gps in the aux ports with the truck running to no avail. I've even had the phone charger in the regular cigarette outlet and the GPS in the aux port at the same time to see if the cig outlet had to be in use in order for the aux power to get voltage. With the truck running I have no voltage at either port. I think the power there worked when I bought the truck back in 2016 and then stopped working one day, which is why I'm stumped. I've read elsewhere that the CSTY or aux power fuses supply power, but all fuses are good (I know for sure this time!) and no dice. Not the biggest deal in the world, just hoping there's a simple answer to a simple problem. Seems to be getting the best of me this time though.

Back