• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DANA??

I know of one person with a '97 K3500 SRW that came factory with a rear dana 70. He drove the truck off the lot in '96, so they're out there.

Is this on your wrecker?
I have a 95 3500hd wrecker,10lug,disc brake rear.I thought they were dana 80's.Thats what a buddy said,I have not had to get any parts for it yet,so just a guess.

Yeah as we're discussing over in the gear oil thread, the "old body style" (GMT4xx series) 3500HD's, 1991-2002 model run, came with Dana 80's. When guys that own 3500HD's say 3500HD, they mean the 15,000 lb. GVWR, 19.5 wheeled, 10 lug rear, 4 wheel disc brake, straight axle front end monsters that a regular 3500 only wishes it could be. :D

35hd_158s.jpg

Richard

Yeah as we're discussing over in the gear oil thread, the "old body style" (GMT4xx series) 3500HD's, 1991-2002 model run, came with Dana 80's. When guys that own 3500HD's say 3500HD, they mean the 15,000 lb. GVWR, 19.5 wheeled, 10 lug rear, 4 wheel disc brake, straight axle front end monsters that a regular 3500 only wishes it could be. :D

35hd_158s.jpg

Richard

:rolleyes5:;):agreed:

My old black '94 was a purty truck after I got through with it, but even kind of beat-up and trashy I still love HD's - like my old '95 -

9535hd_046s.jpg

9535hd_047s.jpg

They're like mini-Kodiaks. :D

Richard

My old black '94 was a purty truck after I got through with it, but even kind of beat-up and trashy I still love HD's - like my old '95 -

9535hd_046s.jpg

9535hd_047s.jpg

They're like mini-Kodiaks. :D

Richard

Wicked looking truck nice color....Are those Alcoa's ?

Looks like Long wheel base also.

Now back to the Dana.....Is it a G80 limited slip also or not a G80?

Wicked looking truck nice color....Are those Alcoa's ?

Looks like Long wheel base also.

Now back to the Dana.....Is it a G80 limited slip also or not a G80?

Yeah those are Alcoa wheels, weren't available on the HD's themselves but were made for the RV market in the correct bolt pattern. They were a little tough to find, but I managed to score 8 of them through 2 different purchases. And yep - 84" cab-to-axle, or 159.5" wheelbase on that one. Had a Jerr-Dan twinline recovery bed with a tunnel box before it was wrecked and retired (then I brought it back to life.)

Keep in mind when the G80 RPO code is used on our models of fullsize trucks it isn't a limited slip (or posi) unit. It's a locker, the Eaton Gov-Loc. When this option is on our trucks you still run the straight gear oil, no additives, regardless of some conflicting information out there on the 'net and even in some manuals.

However...once you get into the GMT4xx 3500HD's like the trucks we're discussing here, the Dana 80 does not use the Eaton Gov-Loc unit. IF a Dana 80 were equipped with a locker their two names for it are "Powr Lok (Dodge)" and "Trac Loc (Ford)" with no indication in the parts catalog that the Dana 80's used in the 3500HD's came with any kind of locker. From what I can see all of them are open type - in HD's, motor home chassis, P-trucks, etc.

Check the RPO code list (SPID label) in your glovebox, should hopefully still be there and legible, that's one thing I do like about the 1995-up interior - they put the label in a place where it's far less likely to get damaged, vs. on the glovebox floor in 1988-1994 models. You probably won't find G80 on there.

Richard

some of the early ones came with a rockwell, but nearly all 3500HDs came with a Dana 80.

Yeah I'm starting to think that might be limited to 1991's, because the Dana application catalog doesn't put 80's in GM models until 1992. The guys over on 3500HD.com that mentioned having the Rockwell I think are all 1991 models, but I didn't pay really close attention.

Richard

Back