• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Custom turbo install

GJF

Reaction score
Well... I finally found some time to install my latest turbo. I still need to fabricate a better air filter location. I am thinking of plumbing the filter inlet to behind the front bumper by the intake inlets. This turbo is a little smaller on the turbine than a HX turbo and the compressor is a little larger. This gives it fast spool and eliminates the "fall on it's face" the GM-8 does. I end up adding a external wastegate which is a little overkill. I may add a manual boost controller, so it will aid a tiny bit more of faster spool. So far EGT's are 400-475 at cruise @ 4psi, and the has very simular EGT characteristics to the GM-8.

Attachments

• P4110201.jpg
    P4110201.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 57
  • P4110200.jpg
    P4110200.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 52
So far it has shown good characteristics like the GM-8 but with my foot in it the truck pulls to redline. I am interested to see the data on IAT's and how she tows this week.

I will try to data log this week and see where the exact spool number is. For a basic comparision it spools in between a GM-8 and a HX-35.

I need to buy a turbo for the 6.5 that I'm rebuilding,but am very undecided what to go with,I am considering anything from a HX35 and bigger,or maybe a Switzer. Is your turbo a Garrett To4 ?

It is a Garrett T04/T03 hybrid. You can make up any size turbo using Garrett components. If you go bigger like a TD 07 it will pull mid to upper RPM's real nice but will suffer low end enormously. I tried a Garrett built to the TD 07 specs and it did what everyone said it would but it killed low end and I felt the EGT's were too high below upper RPM speeds. That is why I built this turbo, to have good low speed spool up but still have good top end pulling. This wouldn't be a turbo for top power but rather a all around performer. My truck is used for everything so I wanted all around performance. If you want a good performing turbo bigger than a HX try looking at a Garrett GT-35R this has a slightly higher flowing compressor section than a Mitsubishi TD-07. This turbo can be ordered with a T03 turbine section .78. This would be a big performer turbo that would pull faster than a TD-07 and spool much quicker.

I probably will end up trying a couple different ones till I get it right,its definetly a trial and error deal,I even thought of starting with a stock turbo to get a baseline. Would a GT35r with a to3 turbine be simular to a hx 35 with a hx 40 compressor side ?

No much larger. I suggested it because using the T03 .78 turbine section it would be slightly smaller than a HX35 on the turbine section, allowing for faster spool and still have decent low end. But the T04 compressor is much larger than the HX 40 compressor section, which would give you plenty of top end.

This would also make the power without any black cloud from the tail pipe too. It would perform simular to stock except when you got your foot in it. And you definetly would need one of your crazy IP's for this unit.

I never had my 6.2 or 6.5 go into turbo surge,all though my Cummins did with the h1c but the 6.5 did not,I was able to get it to chirp on the 6.2, I wonder how small and quick spooling the turbine side can be on a 6.5 before it will start surge ,with a big compressor wheel,if I could light a large compressor wheel below 2000 rpms it would have to feel pretty fast.

No much larger. I suggested it because using the T03 .78 turbine section it would be slightly smaller than a HX35 on the turbine section, allowing for faster spool and still have decent low end. But the T04 compressor is much larger than the HX 40 compressor section, which would give you plenty of top end.

This would also make the power without any black cloud from the tail pipe too. It would perform simular to stock except when you got your foot in it. And you definetly would need one of your crazy IP's for this unit.

What would a turbo like that cost??

It depends on how you want it. New they are about $1400 but that is for a ball bearing unit. A journal bearing turbo with these specs are about $850. These are Garrett units.

Let me be clear about the intentions of my setup. I am not in any way advertising or plan to sell or market any turbo. I wanted to have a better turbo than the GM-8 without losing low end and have plenty of pulling power. I have many years tuning performance gassers and this is my personal truck an I wanted it better. Based off my experience I am able to custom tailor a turbo to react to what an individuals wants it to do within a reasonable enviorment.

Slim and Doc have plenty time invested in R&R of their ATT. All I can say is it does exactly what they claim it to do.

Let me be clear about the intentions of my setup. I am not in any way advertising or plan to sell or market any turbo. I wanted to have a better turbo than the GM-8 without losing low end and have plenty of pulling power. I have many years tuning performance gassers and this is my personal truck an I wanted it better. Based off my experience I am able to custom tailor a turbo to react to what an individuals wants it to do within a reasonable enviorment.

Slim and Doc have plenty time invested in R&R of their ATT. All I can say is it does exactly what they claim it to do.

No doubt, I never questioned that.

Just trying to get a comparison between what sounds like more of a performance turbo (What your building for yourself) to a known "work" / tow turbo the ATT...

If I keep this truck/ engine combo I'm going to be using it more for offroad and performance and less work/ towing...

It will still pull a trailer every one and a while but just going to be taking cattle to and from the market...

My first/ next mod is going to be 16.5 w/ 37's for rubber....

OK, Today I drive in normal daily conditions. I have full boost by 1900-2100 RPMs (needle moves really fast during accel ) EGT's never went over 575. I didn't hook up to the trailer, but I know I will tomorrow. Merging on to the interstate I didn't have to WOT to get her to lite. Definetly can hear her spool. IAT's were at 115-120.

Back