• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Custom factory keyless entry options...

restoguy

Reaction score
So here's my fancy idea.

I have factory keyless entry on both my 97 and 99. The remotes have 2 buttons, lock and unlock. The suburbans/tahoes/blazers from the same period have a third button for rear door/hatch. Why can't I use a S/T/B reciever/remotes and wire the 3rd function to a remote start? Or to my Webasto coolant heater? Or a car bomb? Or any other thing that a person might want to control remotely? Also, some of the later remotes included a "Panic" feature that would honk the horn and flash the lights. Couldn't this be wired as a 4th option?

Discuss among yourselves...

Not sure where this was wired up at or where it came from but I had Unlock, lock, panic, and remote start on a 97 chevy 1500 z71 w/350. The Dmax remote start has WTS function for the remote start, After you hit the start key the newer trucks it starts a few seconds later.

I think a 6.5 friendly system can be found.

Was it with a factory remote? That's my big hold up. I can find aftermarket systems that do everything, including pet the cat. But I want to do it with OEM parts. Even if they are robbed from a Dmax rig. I can understand that the quality of such aftermarket stuff may have improved in recent years, but I've had too much fun ripping that 'add-on' crap out from under dashes in my day! Plus I have a pension for the OEM look... Now the actual remote starter part might have to be aftermarket, because no OEM box exists.(except on the newer trucks of course) But the remotes/reciever should stay OEM.

Mine wasn't OEM. It was aftermarket on one of our farm/mud trucks, so it was not in a favorable climate. NEVER had an issue.

Would be neat to see one of the newer loaded trucks key fob be programed to work. I am sure it will take some aftermarket parts to get it to all work for the remote start, Unlock and lock is probably a matter of having the correct receiver on the truck to accept the new FOB's signal, panic might take some wiring work (more than i want to think about).

Good luck, I have wanted these options for a couple of my DD trucks, My 95 and 00 have plain ol 2 button remotes.

There are some remote starters out there now that use the factory remote. You lock the doors twice (or 3 times) and it activates the starter. But that just doesn't do it for me. I'm sure there's a way to use the third and possibly fourth buttons on the OEM setup to activate a wide range of custom stuff. I don't know how hard the newer parts would be to retro fit, but maybe someone who has experience working on this stuff will chime in. If nothing else, I'll tear into it myself when I get time later this fall. Like I need another excuse to spend more hours at the U-Pull-It...

my truck has an aftermarket remote start system,,, and it has started the truck for me,,, but some times,, it doesn't seem to glow long enough for me, It's now out dated and serviced/NOTserviced by a company that bout the original company. Wish I could program the delay for a longer period.

If you had 3 buttons you might use a cirquit like this.
i might try this to se if i can use the (power on circuit) it to hold the side blinkers on for a specific time just by activating the flasher relay for a sec.
useful circuits.

Attachments

• power on time delay.pdf
    48.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Power off time delay relay.pdf
    50.5 KB · Views: 2
Back