• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cured hard starts from glow plugs

gmctrucksrock

gmctrucksrock
Reaction score
Did this to both of my 6.5's, truck 93 crew cab first ran 10 gauge wire to passenger side of glow plug relay and then back to a relay and to push button switch on dash, so wife-kids-dogs wouldn't flip toggle switch and burn out glow plugs, in the process of testing my glow plugs manually i would count to 5 sec before i would see end of glow plug get red hot and as soon as power was gone plug instantly began to cool, thus the "red hot" was gone, still would burn my fingers but not glowing. both of my 6.5's did kinda start hard but as soon as I was in control of heat and a 5 sec count and also held on as i started so it would be RED HOT while cranking, BAM both start better less white cloud, start at colder temps without being plugged in. WOW what difference and left current system in tack so when warm drive to warm it functions as factory, and the dash light comes on with my button system also so can visually see functioning.

Im going to be doing something simular on the Isuzu swap. Have a 93 GP controller, but it won't stay on long enough?

I can't believe the differance night and day, I had a 6.2 in a 82 gmc with a gas motor system originally so there was no glow plug system in it and it had same relay and button and I never once plugged it in and owned it for over 6 years in Alaskan winters

Did this to both of my 6.5's, truck 93 crew cab first ran 10 gauge wire to passenger side of glow plug relay and then back to a relay and to push button switch on dash, so wife-kids-dogs wouldn't flip toggle switch and burn out glow plugs, in the process of testing my glow plugs manually i would count to 5 sec before i would see end of glow plug get red hot and as soon as power was gone plug instantly began to cool, thus the "red hot" was gone, still would burn my fingers but not glowing. both of my 6.5's did kinda start hard but as soon as I was in control of heat and a 5 sec count and also held on as i started so it would be RED HOT while cranking, BAM both start better less white cloud, start at colder temps without being plugged in. WOW what difference and left current system in tack so when warm drive to warm it functions as factory, and the dash light comes on with my button system also so can visually see functioning.

This makes sense. I have always tried to fire it up AS SOON AS the GPwait light went out, but with this mod, wife can still start as usual. Thanks.

what plugs did you use. duraterms and 60gs are self regulating and won't burn out. my gl4 PCM gives me 10 seconds and only when it is really cold do I sometimes wish I had an override button. My duraterms are a couple of years old and I had my glowplug relay stick last summer and it ran my batts completely dead and the plugs are still working fine 1 year later.

probably but I just hopped in it to move it out of the way quickly and as it was already warm I didn't wait for the glow plugs. In a hurry and not paying attention

Back