• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cummins V-300 spec and info ?

M123KT-450

Reaction score
I been looking at buying an M123 10ton 6x6 truck tractor. The unit i found has a V-300 crate fresh new engine had a Rad hose mishap and it over heated and cracked the head.

All i know about the V-300:
1. 785 CID V-8 non turbo Cummins diesel.
2. Makes 300hp@3,000Rpm.
3. some say it has a high failure rate/others say it run for years.

What i would like to know about the V-300:
1. whats it make for Torque ?
2. what its cruzing rpm ?
3. Can it be Turbo charged ?
4. if it was to get replaced by somthing else what would be best ?

I was thinking if i replaced it i would use a KT-Cummins.
I have been told the V-903 & VT-903's make good replacements what about the VTA-903's ?

I'm not a Big fan of the 903's as i heard there were a 50/50 gamble it would either Blow up soon or they would run for years. . .

Mike

Well anywho i have looked all over i haven't found much info on them engines.
So anybody know anything about the 903's ? power out put and Revs ?
V-903 ? VT-903 ? VTA-903 ?

Mike

Last edited:
I found the info on the V-300:
300HP.
915TQ.
Ideal cruising speed is 2500-3,000rpm is safe. key number is 2750 RPM. . .

Performance Mods known:
1. True duel exhaust 6-8" stacks or straight pipped with side exits.
2. Running fresh outside air straight into engine intake.

that was all i could find to for upgrades, tho the local Diesel shop said if i brought them the Truck too them they might be able to give just a touch more fuel at a little better flow. but other wise the V-300 came pretty much tweaked to its maximum performance.

It started life as 785CID V-8 210hp 2100rpm marine engine and ended up a 300hp 3,300rpm truck engine for the military. which they goverened to 3,000rpm.

The Mech i talked to said he has tweaked the V-300's before you van get 25-35 extra hp out of them but that is it your tempting fate at 35hp.

His expert opinion was to just open up the intake n open up the exhaust and let it run.

Mike

The 903's are just alright. I had one in an old P&H 150 ton truck crane. It powerd the upper. It had a 3406 to power the truck. I never had any real problems with the 903. It had a pretty easy life, like most crane engines. They get a lot of idleing time. I don't remember the power specs of ours, but it was probably on the low side. I would have to guess around 250 hp. It had a ton of hours on it and kept on chuggin' away. I have had some other "V" configurations of cummins also. I'm no a big fan of them. I think they are way better as a straight six. We had a V-12 cummins that was a P O S. We never got it to run quite right. I even had cummins out to look at it, and they were not any better at it.

Yea i hear you i ain't to big the V-Cummins diesels either. . . but this unfortunatly is the only Diesel that will fit and it even Cummins had to built a custom oil pan for this app. . .

But i was told that this motor is basicly right in between the V-555 and V-903 as it makes a good amount of power at high revs. . .
a 785CID V-8 diesel that revs up to 3,300Rpm but governed to 3,000Rpm. . .

I am a big Fan of the 855CID I-6 and the 1150CID I-6 from cummins both motors have been around for decades. . .But this truck dose 43.9Mph@3,000Rpm and 2,000Rpm 6's would awsome for pulling power but in this truck would be painfully slow if you wanted to take the time to make them fit. . .

Mike

Back