• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

cummins intercooler?

great white

Reaction score
I've got an opportunity to pick up a 93 Cummins intercooler locally. It's straight, clean and pressure tested for 100 bucks.

Obviously, I'm looking to install it on my 98 6.5 or I owuldn't be asking the question here.:hihi:

It will be worked into the "stack" of rads and coolers with a little bit of creative welding rework if I go this way.

Anyone have experience with these charge air coolers?

i hear it will fit but not with the a/c if you keep the rad in its present location. if you move it back its very possible it will fit with the rad and all the other stuff too

Looky what followed me home today:

DSC03891.jpg

DSC03890.jpg

DSC03892.jpg

:)

Are you going to try my idea of moving the rad closer to the fan ? My only issue in thought was wondering if the benefits of the IC would outweigh the additional blocking of airflow. That I am not sure about. My other hair-brain scheme was to grab a Condenser with elec fan setup off a class 8 truck that mounts on the backside of the sleeper and put it under the truck or in the bed of the truck and eliminate the condenser from the front of the truck. Then with an IC I think that would be the cat's meow.

Are you going to try my idea of moving the rad closer to the fan ? My only issue in thought was wondering if the benefits of the IC would outweigh the additional blocking of airflow. That I am not sure about. My other hair-brain scheme was to grab a Condenser with elec fan setup off a class 8 truck that mounts on the backside of the sleeper and put it under the truck or in the bed of the truck and eliminate the condenser from the front of the truck. Then with an IC I think that would be the cat's meow.

The dodge CAC might be thin enough to fit in the stack pretty much as is. There's room between the Condenser and the rad, I just need to take the front end apart and see what needs to move.

I was actually surprised to see the room there was when I looked in today, I'm pretty sure I remeber it being a lot tighter than it looks last time I had the front end apart and the rad out.

I may be able to "ease" the condensor and oil/trans coolers forward a bit, maybe enough with a tiny bit of notching of the plastic on the grill. Dunno, have to get in there and get my hands dirty to know for sure.

I have some slight concerns about heat but I don't think in will be that bad, the CAC is only going to give around a 40 degree drop at most and my truck hardly ever sees the high side of 180-ish. Add to that that my GM8 turbo isn't going to be worked much harder than stock (5-10 PSI) there shouldn't be a big difference. The Dodge CAC is pretty "wide open" too, no where near as restrictive as the already in place condensor core. I'm also thinking of using aluminum tubing for the plumbing and finning the outside of the "hot" side of the CAC to try and "sink" some heat away before it even reachs the cooler. Dunno if there's any real point to that, but it can't hurt.

Packaging the tubing is another story. I'm looking at quite a few 90 degree bends to mount it like I'm thinking. Fluids (IE: Air) just isn't too receptive to a 90 degree change in direction....

The CAC in the bed or under the truck is an interesting idea, but it sure woudl require an awful lot of 2.5/3 inch tubing....

Last edited:
Back