• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cummins going away in Ram?

btfarm

America First!
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
News article from Diesel Progress:

Industry News
Fiat Mulling Iveco Engine For Dodge Ram?
November 4, 2009

Almost since it began supplying diesel engines for Dodge’s Ram pickup truck in the late 1980s, there have been near-constant rumors and reports that Cummins Inc. was about to lose the business. Through the years however, the Columbus, Ind., engine manufacturer managed to maintain its position and earn a sort of cult following among pickup truck enthusiasts and in the process, sell an average of more than 100,000 engines a year to Dodge.

With the change in Dodge’s corporate status, once again the reports are beginning to circulate that Cummins is in danger of losing the Dodge business. According to a report in the most recent issue of Stark’s Truck & Off-Highway Ledger, a business publication covering the design, manufacture and sales of light, medium and heavy-duty trucks, truck trailers, mobile farm equipment and mobile construction machinery, Fiat S.p.A., which is in control of Dodge parent Chrysler Group LLC, may discontinue sourcing engines from Cummins and is considering replacing the Cummins Turbo Diesel engine with an Iveco engine, built by a Fiat subsidiary.

The change could come as soon as the 2011 model year, according to the Stark’s report, which is attributed to a company source. Stark’s said its source indicated that Chrysler engineers are reviewing Iveco engine specifications, especially as it pertains to weight and emissions issues. A decision is expected by the end of the year, the Ledger report said.

Adding additional spice to the report is the fact that for nearly eight years, Fiat, through its Iveco and New Holland subsidiaries, was part of an engine-related joint venture with Cummins, the European Engine Alliance (EEA), As part of that alliance, companies cooperated in the development of a range of engines, including a 6.7 L diesel similar to the engine used in the Ram. The alliance ended in 2008, in part because of a strategy by Fiat to have its own Fiat Powertrain Technologies (FPT) subsidiary be the primary engine supplier to Fiat companies.

For its part, Cummins expressed confidence that it would survive this challenge as it has all the others. “Cummins and Chrysler have a great partnership that's more than 20 years old, and we expect the partnership to remain strong,” said Cummins in a statement provided to Diesel Progress. Cummins added that the Ram Tubro Diesel engine is “the most proven, with three years’ experience at the 2010 emission levels.”

“The Dodge Ram heavy-duty truck and Cummins Turbo Diesel have great loyalty with our mutual customers, and Dodge sells a higher percentage of diesel heavy-duty pickup trucks than competitive brands,” the Cummins statement concluded. “Cummins will continue to work to earn the Dodge Ram business and to create loyalty for the Cummins Turbo Diesel in the Dodge Ram trucks.”

They would be completely and totally out of their skulls to do that.

Unless someone started throwing a Cat in a light duty truck, I'd never buy a new one.

There goes the only reason to buy a Dodge.
Exactly...:iagree:
I don't know how many guys have said the best rig would be:
Cummins/Allison/Ford King Ranch interior/pick a differential and your preferred body style.

Exactly...:iagree:
I don't know how many guys have said the best rig would be:
Cummins/Allison/Ford King Ranch interior/pick a differential and your preferred body style.

A lot have. But, I would never agree with that. Anyone drove a Ford? they steer awful, they don't feel as solid as a GM IMO, I just don't care for one..

As for a Dodge. I drove my buddies Cummins home the other night as he was a little intoxicated..., you felt EVERY bump in the road.

yep.
Fiat
Fix It Again Tomorrow
Futile Italian Attempt at Transportation.

The futile attempt at transportation has to be the best one i've heard yet! I always heard it as "Fix it again Tony"

Dodge would really be out of there minds if they lost Cummins. Though if Fiat is in control of Chrysler like the article says, it may not be there choice... The Cummins diesel is really the only thing that powers people to buy the Dodge trucks, without it Chrysler would be in even more trouble than they are now. Lets just hope this is another one of those "rumors" going around the Cummins wont be with Chrysler.

Though if this DOES happen... And Those guys at Ford had half a brain cell... There could be a serious change in the tide...

The futile attempt at transportation has to be the best one i've heard yet! I always heard it as "Fix it again Tony"

Dodge would really be out of there minds if they lost Cummins. Though if Fiat is in control of Chrysler like the article says, it may not be there choice... The Cummins diesel is really the only thing that powers people to buy the Dodge trucks, without it Chrysler would be in even more trouble than they are now. Lets just hope this is another one of those "rumors" going around the Cummins wont be with Chrysler.

Though if this DOES happen... And Those guys at Ford had half a brain cell... There could be a serious change in the tide...

I agree 100%. Dodge truck sales would be cut in HALF. (or more.)

I agree 100%. Dodge truck sales would be cut in HALF. (or more.)

I think half is an understatement. They would still sell the 1500 with the hemi in it for groccery getting (and fitting half of a sheet of plywood in the bed):h), but I think the 2500's and 3500's would die right there. Dodges heavy duty truck sales rely on having that "big C" on the body. People would flee if they saw anything else.

That would be like... Honda not having that I-VTECH thing under the hood.

There goes the only reason to buy a Dodge.

In my opinion, the only good thing about the Dodge's are the Cummins and the fact that you can still get a manual transmission. With the Cummins gone, I sure as hell wouldn't buy one... and I was close to buying one before I got my silverado (for the manual and the Cummins of course). If this is finalized, there goes Dodge for the Heavy Duty truck market in the eye's of most people.

I'll believe this when I see it. I just don't see them being that stupid getting rid of Cummins. I can tell you that I bought my truck for the engine and the SFA. I don't think I would have put that much consideration into this truck if it wasn't hiding a Cummins under the hood. If there was another engine in this truck, I really think I would have just looked at a Duramax again or the Fords that I looked at.

give the engine a chance, I have driven an Iveco....... good trucks.....

:poke: Why try a new engine? People know a Cummings legend is tougher than a brick $hithouse. Even Ford wanted to get the designed for Dodge Cummings.

As posted above this engine with exhaust brake built in was the only reason to really look at a Dodge. The Duramax wins because of the seat comfort and quiet GM package around it with an Allison backing it up. But the Dodge got a fair test drive. And the body esp. the bed strength favors Dodge. 2500's, Dodge, Built in Mexico and being a 'foreign owned' company doesn't help them.

Iveco or other engine without a "C" wouldn't get the time of day for any 'converts'. In fact people would follow the engine to Ford or GM. It is hard enough to get Domestic Diesel parts without the parts having to float here over the ocean!!!:mad2:

IIRC cummins and dodge have an indefinite contact to supply engines, which has been questioned here and there because of Ford being a majority shareholder in Cummins. Or maybe I'm out to lunch on that.

FWIW Iveco engines have popped up in a lot farm equipment in the last couple years, mostly through CNH, and I know from talking to dealers, that there are more coming. I wouldn't be surprised to see them increasingly in vehicles again.

Ford has NEVER been a majority share holder in Cummins. They owned a 5 percent stake in Cummins when Ford had big truck division. They sold their big truck division to daimler (which became sterling truck) and sold their stake in cummins at the same time back in the late nineties.

To keep this post on topic, Dodge without Cummins would be a HUGE mistake on Fiat's part. I would probably not consider one without cummins power.

Back