• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cruise not working

qak

Reaction score
Have a95 k3500 and can't get the cruise to come on at all. I've cleaned all the grounds
and checked fuses. Nothing has worked, any ideas on what im missing?
I have no idea how the cruise works on a 6.5. Maybe injection pump wiring? Thx chris

The stalk on the steering column both wires and switches go bad. Some codes in the computer can prevent cruise from working. Use a paper clip and pull codes. Then clear them if any by pulling the batts for 30 + seconds.

On 94&^ that can sometimes be an indicator of a failing PMD. Got a spare to try?

ill check those codes this morning. is the stalk hard to change?

dont have another pmd but was told that it was replaced when the po couldnt figure out why
it wouldnt stay running. it looks new and is on the intake with a huge cooler. Oh a hunch i
checked to see if it had the resistor inside. It didnt, so i found a number 8 and put it in. Would
that affect how it runs without it? thanks chris

FACT: (personal experience)
I found that when I added my PMD relocation cable, my cruise quit working. I suspected the PMD was starting to fail before moving it. (had a few instances of fishbiting, cold stalls, etc)

I ran for almost a year without cruise control, before my PMD finally failed.

Once the PMD did fail and was replaced, the cruise worked instantly. The cruise has worked without fail since replacing the PMD.

SPECULATION:
I can't prove it, but an observation I made was monitoring ODBII scan tool. One PID has the name duplicated (related to IP solenoid), It appears to be the solenoid feedback pulse width. It had a higher reading on the older PMD verse the newer PMD.

Without looking at the injection control code, its impossible to know for sure. It appears that the PCM monitors this signal and disables the cruise if it is out of range. But this out of range is not an emissions failure so it does not throw a SES code.

Have you seen any other symptoms of a failing PMD?

#1 through#9 is a fine calibration of fuel output. Pick one and you will not notice the difference. Maybe a smoke test would show a change. Any "tune" will deliver way more fuel then the resister can change. So it is for emissions and keeping the SES light off. I have one radio shack resistor backprobed into the harness now and finally got a replacement as mine was missing as well, and from the pump mounted one. Mine has a solid SES light with the missing resistor. Read codes, write them down, and then clear them.

The stalk is a PIA to run the wire down the column. Be sure it is the issue before messing with it!

I would look at getting the PMD away from the intake underhood oven. Put it on the front bumper with a cable/kit Burning Oil (and others) offer. Electronics and heat don't mix and heat cycles are also a failure mode like bending a paperclip till it breaks. Get the high quality cable because you don't want issues with it. Bad cable will make you walk.

BTW, I eliminated the cruise wiring immediately, when it quit. The ODBII scan tool showed all of the related Cruise control inputs to the PCM. Each changed state as they were switched: Cruise enabled, Cruise Set, brake pedal switch, etc.

Before screwing with that EXPENSIVE multi function switch, make sure it is bad. If you don't have a scan program yet that shows those cruise inputs, take it to a shop and have them check them.

i have codes 46 and 49. cruise still not working, no extra pmd right now and no money for one. I guess ill
wait till i have the extra funds and then try a new pmd to see if thats is. Any other checks that i can
do to make it work? thanks for the help

Almost every cruise failure (like 90%) I've seen with this style of cruise stalk:

2310850.jpg

Has been the little wires broken where they bend into the column.

Fishing the wires through the column is a pita as ww mentioned.

I got so tired of it on my old truck I did this:

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...13-obs-cruise-stalk-altenatives-swapping.html

Another source for troubles with cruise is the brake switch. I think it was fixed by 94, but older models would tend the "flutter" on and off as the brake lever rattled with bumps. When the brake switch is made, the cruise kicks off. Some of the switches just left the brake lights on soothe cruise nevermwould engage. This is easy tomfind out though:'push the brake pedal and then walk to the rear to see if your lights stay on.

Some have also reported that early failure signs for a pmd is the cruise stops working.

Good luck

Back