• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

crud in my fuel tank, stretched wire harness?

Rafedial1

Reaction score
the 96 c2500 in my sig is having a strange problem. Under an abrupt accel, the truck cuts out fuel and dies. This only happens when I encourage it to, sometimes not(intermittent) So, the usual...

-batteries are ok, alt ok
-just replaced all main cable terminals and grounds, starter, engine grounds as well
-lift works, primes at ko-eo, new fuel pump relay
-fuel quality itself, always a reliable local co-op source
-basically all serviceable fuel system parts are new, and oem if possible
-IP age unknown, but I do not suspect the IP is the issue, ruled out
-no fuel leaks anywhere
-PMD newer

the only place I have not ventured into, the fuel tank. could a snotty fuel pickup sock be causing these problems? fuel cutting out? is my pickup tube rusted out?
it isn't until the lift draws a large volume all at once...then...no fuel

fuel level does not matter.

the only other issue is the weatherpack connectors under the hood have all suffered the effects of long term heat and are dry cracked. most missing clips and needing a zip tie(i know). so could hard accel/coupled with engine torqueing be causing my main engine harness to stretch and cause erradic signals? (optical sensor)

does anyone know where to buy these individual #pin weatherpaks? or should I source another harness from the "yard"?

anythoughts are appeciated.

NAPA and other parts stores carry the terminals; and some of the connector bodies. You'll need to know and be able to identify the particular terminals you need. There are a lot of different ones. You'll also need the correct tool to remove the particular terminals. Personally, I'd drop the tank and see what you have first.

It looks to me as a fuel delivery issue under WOT. Snotty sock is likely. A fuel gauge would also help diagnose whether your LP is weak.

Zip tie the wires and retest. This will eliminate or prove the direction you need to take.

What is your lift pump pressure? Mine tested fine at idle and would loose pressure at WOT shown as lower boost in higher RPM (vs. low RPM high boost) under full load. It finally died with no flow or pressure 60 days, 6000 miles later.

Just because it is making noise doesn't mean the valves are working in a lift pump. In my case the Biodiesel ruins them. I do recommend a better fuel pump than the stock equivalent pumps. (Like a Walbro FRB5 or Carter 4600)

Thank you chessie 6.5, NVW, Warwagon

just following up to say that my Lift Pump was in fact weak(pressure only at idle/ko-eo)(none under load), and I replaced it with a Walbro. I did also remove the bed and pull the fuel sending unit out to inspect. It was ok, tube a little rusty, sock had some dark color to it but no obstruction. I replaced it anyway. Thanks again for the advice, spot on!

Truck runs great! so glad to have transportation.

Back