• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Crossover pipe

Pillow

Recruit
Reaction score
Who is out there making the best x-pipe these days?

I found a warpspeed for $50. Does it fit correctly and have good quality?

Any other suggestions?

While changing the oil today in the 3500 I noticed that the stock x-over is almost rusted through. :(

Thanks!

I have the Warpspeed....I had to open up the holes in the flanges with one size bigger drill bit than what the holes were at when I bought it in order to get the bolts to line up...

I would buy one again, but I would open up the holes as soon as I got it out of the box instead of cursing and fighting with the holes in the flanges the way they are from warpspeed for hours on end under the truck....

I got mine from Summit Racing, came with the downpipe, it was just over $100 if I remember right. Made by flowmaster.

Nope, went on perfect for me.
on edit:
My studs all snapped off of the manifolds so I bolted it on after drilling the studs out.

Studs snapping off is my biggest fear on this project. Hard to access area if anything goes wrong.

Great feedback guys!

I will go with the Warpspeed as the price is right and I can enlarge a few holes for the price difference.

Actually the flowmaster is a good deal if you need the downpipe as well. Mine is already done though so no added value.

Thanks!

My warpspeed x-over seemed a bit wide, maybe by a 1/4". I had to bolt in 1 side then start one bolt on the other side and pry it over a bit while I got the other 2 bolts in. Start spraying those bolts with penetrating oil. My bolts came out no problem, use a 6 point socket, 15mm I think.

my warpspeep x-over is on the way... i'm hoping its an easy install... i was tempted by the two piece systems offered by SSDiesel and Heath tho...

heat bolt up with propane torch and push a candle into the threads if you're having trouble getting them free w/out snapping...

Start PB Blastering now. And everyday.

My Warpspeed crossover didn't fit worth a damn. The pipe itself fit fine, but the flanges were all wrong. I enlarged the holes as big as I could but it still wouldn't bolt up. I ended up cutting the thing, taking off the flanges from the old stock pipe and re-welding the new crossover back together. Bolted up just fine with no leaks, but what a pain. I probably could have returned it for a new one, but didn't want to wait.

Studs snapping off is my biggest fear on this project. Hard to access area if anything goes wrong.

Great feedback guys!

I will go with the Warpspeed as the price is right and I can enlarge a few holes for the price difference.

Actually the flowmaster is a good deal if you need the downpipe as well. Mine is already done though so no added value.

Thanks!

YES. The studs snapping is very real possibility. They are NOT grade 8 bolts. In my opinion, you are much better off putting in undersized bolts and nuts on the backside AFTER you get the bolts out. That way, you can just cut the bolts if you ever need to remove them.

I agree with using the 'candle' trick, and using PB Blaster every day for a couple of weeks. Heat the bolt red-hot, and apply a beeswax (DON'T get the dripless kind) candle to the threads, try to get the wax to wick into the threads and the exhaust manifold. We snapped 5 bolts on my Tahoe, and it was a colossal pain to get them out! They ended up melting them out with a welding torch, which left the exhaust manifold rather messy, but still operational.

Beware, and be careful!

Rob :)

I did my Warpspeed a couple months back. I was fortunate with getting the bolts out of the manifold, by using a breaker bar and (gently, and with steadily increasing pressure)tightening until I heard the "snap" of them breaking loose. It was a gamble that paid off, they all turned out fairly easily after that. Worked for me, no guarantee it will work for you.
The pipe fit well, and i had no issues with having to open up the holes.
WARNING!! I remembered reading a post at the other place about crud inside the pipe when it arrived. Mine was full of fine metal particles. Dont know if those fine particles would hurt the turbo, but didnt want to take a chance, so cleaned it out. Water got a lot of it out, but it was an oily mix, had to resort with a brake cleaner rinse before I was satisfied it was clean enough to bolt up. The pic is what came out after I had rinsed with brake cleaner, after hitting it with water first. Lotta crap in there.

Attachments

• slide4 017.jpg
    slide4 017.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I used a stainless crossover from SS diesel when I did my head gaskets. It was 90 bucks, but I should not have to replace it again. It fit fine and I had no problem getting the old one off.

I did my Warpspeed a couple months back. I was fortunate with getting the bolts out of the manifold, by using a breaker bar and (gently, and with steadily increasing pressure)tightening until I heard the "snap" of them breaking loose.

With me, the 'snap' was the bolt shearing off... That's with PB Blaster and the whole 9 yards.

Rob :)

Back