• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Crossover Pipe Replacement - Yikes!!

turbopower6

Reaction score
So the original crossover pipe finally needs to be replaced since the factory installed it in 1996! Now the fun and excitement begins. The driver side bolt heads broke even after heating manifold with a torch. Of course they would!!!
Looks like we will be removing the manifolds and replacing them as well. Just afraid I will burn the truck down with the torch given the lack of clearance on the passenger side.

Question's:
1. Did the factory install gaskets on the exhaust manifolds initially? Any recommendations on replacing gaskets? What type to use?
2. Does anyone have experience removing these manifold's and not have the bolts break off in the heads? Any suggestions for removing the manifold bolts?
3. Any shortcuts for taking the turbo side off? Remove inner fender etc?
4. Any difference in the exhaust manifold over the 6.5 turbo engine family/manufacturing years?
5. Does anyone have the OEM part numbers for these exhaust manifold's?

1996 k2500 suburban 6.5

The "Adventure" continues!,
TGK

So the original crossover pipe finally needs to be replaced since the factory installed it in 1996! Now the fun and excitement begins. The driver side bolt heads broke even after heating manifold with a torch. Of course they would!!!
Looks like we will be removing the manifolds and replacing them as well. Just afraid I will burn the truck down with the torch given the lack of clearance on the passenger side.

Question's:
1. Did the factory install gaskets on the exhaust manifolds initially? Any recommendations on replacing gaskets? What type to use? No gaskets needed
2. Does anyone have experience removing these manifold's and not have the bolts break off in the heads? Any suggestions for removing the manifold bolts? The ones I removed were no trouble
3. Any shortcuts for taking the turbo side off? Remove inner fender etc? Remove inner fender
4. Any difference in the exhaust manifold over the 6.5 turbo engine family/manufacturing years? No
5. Does anyone have the OEM part numbers for these exhaust manifold's?

1996 k2500 suburban 6.5

The "Adventure" continues!,
TGK
I drilled and tapped the broken bolts and used studs while the manifolds were still on the engine, a PIA but doable.

As far as I know donut gaskets only in the manifolds. A half inch air impact works great on the exhaust manifold bolts but not practical with the motor in. I have used liquid wrench and some muscle, none broke on me on the couple I have done but they were not "rust" belt trucks. I did not remove the inner fender, that probably would have made the job go quicker. On the 95s and 93s I have had not noted any differences in the turbo manifolds. I am with NVW, doing it while the manifolds on the motor may be the best way to avoid the chance of a exhaust manifold bolt snapping of she is rusty.

Back