• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Crossover Pipe...Helping?

I removed mine from my 1999 Sub and replaced with a Warpspeed. No noticeable change, no lower egt's, although the stock pipe on mine was not very squashed at all and single wall. My 1995 k1500 had a bad squash in it. It was a worthwhile changeout on the k1500 not so on the Sub...IMO

IF it isnt damaged, there's no need to change, cauz it only has the get the exhaust fumes from FOUR cylinders to the turbo, and for FOUR the diameter is big enough. AND these crossoverpipes are only about 1/4" biggier than stock.

Cu,
Sven

I changed mine out and the turbo (stock gm-4) seems to spool up quicker. The crossover is the 2 1/2 version. I did try the golfball test on the stock one after it was off and it went through so its not delaminated, but like I said it did seem to help the spooling and lag time.

I dunno what it was about the 94-95 exhaust systems, but they were the ones that seemed to get the squashed downpipes and the delaminated crossovers... the ones that passed the golfball test weren't too bad, but there were quite a few like this:

100369_3.jpg

Hard to get 4 cylinders through that hole... You can also pop a hole in the corners with a cutting torch just to see if it's OK, and then weld the hole back up.

I dunno what it was about the 94-95 exhaust systems, but they were the ones that seemed to get the squashed downpipes and the delaminated crossovers... the ones that passed the golfball test weren't too bad, but there were quite a few like this:

100369_3.jpg

Hard to get 4 cylinders through that hole... You can also pop a hole in the corners with a cutting torch just to see if it's OK, and then weld the hole back up.

Jeez! That's one squished crossover pipe. I'll have to check the one that came off the 94 that i'm doing heads/headgaskets/etc on.

Thanks for the photo Jim. Photos like that really are worth 1,000 words.

I elected to install a 2.5" Warpspeed crossover when I installed the Diamondeye exhaust. See my thread on this project: http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?t=19218

My reasoning was as follows:
  • 24% greater flow area than stock 2.125" pipe(4.91in2 vs 3.97in2), 1/4" diff in diameter makes a significant diff in area, less resistance to flow
  • Smoother mandrel bent pipe, no wrinkles like stock pipe, less resistance to flow
  • Single wall construction won't ever collapse and obstruct flow
  • Gave me a chance to change donuts & Neverseize the fasteners.

The common theme to my exhaust upgrade was FLOW as in less resistance to FLOW: Larger pipes, smooth mandrell bent system, straight thru muffler, no cat converter. Seems to have worked, throttle is more responsive, EGTs are lower. True test will be in the summer when I tow heavier loads and the ambient temps are in the 100 degF region.

I elected to install a 2.5" Warpspeed crossover when I installed the Diamondeye exhaust. See my thread on this project: http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?t=19218

My reasoning was as follows:
  • 24% greater flow area than stock 2.125" pipe(4.91in2 vs 3.97in2), 1/4" diff in diameter makes a significant diff in area, less resistance to flow
  • Smoother mandrel bent pipe, no wrinkles like stock pipe, less resistance to flow
  • Single wall construction won't ever collapse and obstruct flow
  • Gave me a chance to change donuts & Neverseize the fasteners.

The common theme to my exhaust upgrade was FLOW as in less resistance to FLOW: Larger pipes, smooth mandrell bent system, straight thru muffler, no cat converter. Seems to have worked, throttle is more responsive, EGTs are lower. True test will be in the summer when I tow heavier loads and the ambient temps are in the 100 degF region.

Very nice setup, thanks for taking the time to snap the pics & sharing that installation, very very nice.

ur welcome...just trying to give something back to the group (& I had a little time at the office that day :smile5: ).

I really appreciate the open exchange of experiences and ideas here.

Very nice setup, thanks for taking the time to snap the pics & sharing that installation, very very nice.

I changed mine recently, also. It must have been more rotten than I thought because I get significatly more turbo whistle now and the truck is definitely faster. That's what I get for not having my boost gauge installed.

I agree with the comments here. Note that usually the max size on crossovers is 2.5", as stock installs will not take a 3" crossover (I don't think anyone sells one).

-Rob :)

With the engine noise these trucks make, cross over leaks can go unnoticed ( in my case at least) & affecting boost .

Mine failed the golfball test. I changed it. Maybe a little more spooling. I was disappointed actually. I think I really need a big turbo to truly notice it.

well after seeing that pic i WILL change the crossover or at least do the golf ball test! cause my 93 pipe looks the same on the outside.

Mine failed the golfball test. I changed it. Maybe a little more spooling. I was disappointed actually. I think I really need a big turbo to truly notice it.

Don't tell me that you aren't running an ATT, for shame, seeings how you sell them.:D

Don't tell me that you aren't running an ATT, for shame, seeings how you sell them.:D

I'm glad I'm not the first one to say it!):h

):h Referring to wanting the "Mr. T" big turbo addition to the A Team turbo product line? What are you guys not telling us?

Changed my crossover as it was OLD vintage 1993 and Stock. Stop a known problem before it chokes up 1/2 of the engine and overheats it...

Back