• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Crazy Turbo Options

Chevypoor

Reaction score
Well it has been awhile but work and other 6.5 drama and hoopla has kept me away from my wife's truck for too long. We have come to conclusions on what our plans are and I will be updating the project thread in a bit. The truck is an 89 s10 on a 76 K5 frame running 37" boggers. Was 350 small block, soon to be a 6.2 with a center mount turbo. This is a pure wtf recreational vehicle. Will running straight stacks with rain caps. To keep it simple we are looking for a non-wastegated turbo. Since we will fabbing the entire exhaust do not care if it is a t4 or t3 flange. Also do not care if the DP is 3 or 4 inch. What are my turbo options? Considered the ATT but it is too quiet- ie not much whistle. Who makes a non wastegated turbo that screams? Looking for something that makes both an audio and a visual statement. Will be running 4.10's with a turbo 400. Thinking a turbo that fully lights in the 2k range would be nice. A recent convert to diesels and not very turbo savvy so I am looking for some good candidates. Thanks!

Forgot to mention price/ budget is a concern. Looking for something in the ATT price range $700-900 although lower would be nice. Will consider Chinese/ foreign clones as well.

Non gated 14cm turbine HX35 with a 56mm? They make those? That would be ideal I think. I know mine whistles good. But yeah, a diverter valve does create a ungodly sound though lol

The spool valve is a thought, that would be different and there should be plenty of room- with a 6" air filter on top of the Holley on the old 350 there was a good 12-14" 's to the top of the firewall and then the truck has a cowl hood so a couple more inches. I was thinking Garret, Heath had a non gated turbo they sold for awhile that I believe Pavlotoz was running that was non gated. I thought I heard/ read that the s-84 was most likely a Garret clone. I know Holset sells some non gated turbos. I believe Borg Warner makes some non gated models. I will do some digging and see what I come up with. Thanks for the help!

Found a Borg Warner 177272 for $445 rebuilt. Used on John Deere tractors, basically an Airwerks S300SX3. 60mm inducer, 68mm exducer on the cold side. Have not found anything yet for the hot side. Looks like a t4 flange, twin scroll. Anybody had any experience with these turbos?

Back