• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Crank sensor, code 19 cps, it's all the same. Discuss

Pruittx2

Been around a bit
Reaction score
So I'm my recent road trip,, the SES came on, and cruise kicked off. Hmmm I wondered. As I had my OBDl cable in the truck, but not my laptop. I pulled off the road, and shut down, plugged in cable, and got code 19. CPS code. restart and lights off, truck runs fine, and doesn't seem to miss a beat. Forward to 2 weeks later, and ses on again. same code. then another week goes by, truck is sitting idling in the drive, when I hear it miss,, look up to see a small puff of black smoke, but, sounds fine after, and seems to run good. ses was on when I got back in truck, restart and light is off, and stays off for a few days.

So I know I need to replace it,, How long should it take? and what comes of to get to it?

Also how long can I get away with not changing it? ,, only want to know this as to if I should get a Autozone part to replace asap, or get a GM on from Rock Auto. I need my truck for work I go back and forth 1 mile 3 times a day, to drive the school bus. I can replace it in the evening, as I have a few hr's to do so. but only 1-2 hrs between routes which I don't think is enough time to do it, and my fat ass don't like to walk to work! :hihi:

I would check the CPS harnass and connectors before replacing the CPS.
on second thought maybe there is some metallic sludge on the CPS magnets so it won't hurt to pull the thing out and check.
Accessabillity is not that great i believe,i never had the need to fool around with it with the engine in the truck..yet. Maybe someone with resent CPS R&R experience will pipe in.
I do know CPS can be stubborn to get out(sticky 0 ring on it) and they break easy so be carefull with the prybar.prying simultaniously on each side helps prevent breakage.
hope this helps

It is faster to pull the power steering pump out of the way to get to it, take plenty of curse words with you when you go!! mine broke into little pieces when I tried to pull it out and I had to take the timing cover off.

I just looked down in there, to see if I could see it,,, and thought, Oh great,,, do I go from the top or bottom, cause you can't see it from the top.

I did order one from my Chevy dealer List it $92 and I got it for $65 or so. Gonna pick it up Tuesday,, then hope it don't gimme no crap till Saturday. That's when I'll tear in to it. Guess I'll remove fan shrouds, and fan,,, cause I can in about 20 mins,, then move PS pump, and Hope to god, I don't have to go timing cover deep to get it swapped out. Would love to see a pic of an installed unit.

Other things to do,,, very soon,
1) Replace Hydro-boost unit as it is leaking
2) Get plow bracket and wiring in place,,
3) then and drop both bumpers and start prepping body for the spray on bedliner from body side moldings down to rockers.
4) undercoat undercarriage with 90W oil.

Life on a dirt road is hell on rocker panel paint, and Michigan winters are hell on rock chipped metal, that is where the cancer starts!

6.5 long block.jpg

So it looks like the hole you see there behind the balancer,, in the lower timing cover is where the CPS goes in. and it has an ear for the 1 bolt that holds it in place.

and here is a pic of the sensor,,,, Now I think I'm seeing that it goes in that cover 2-3 inchs or so, and when the O-ring has been soaked in oil, and stuck in that hole for Hmmm 17 years,,, that it can become stuck in the hole. :mad2: Geez I'm getting a headache already.

With the PS pump moved,, maybe I can get some vice grips, on the metal portion and slightly twist and pull that dude out of the hole. :???:

CPS.jpg

Ah crap,,, now I Know I should be doing the H/B and pulley, since I'm gonna be in it that far,,, Damn it! $70 cps turns into $400 job!

$235 out the door for O'Rieleys Cardone Remanufactured - Hydraulic Booster $40 core.
$60 ea for pulley and Balancer
$70 CPS

It just goes on and on,,,,,,

When I tore my 98 down it came out easy, it was on an engine stand however.

Back