• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Crank Position Sensor..Problem..

Hydrauk

Hydrauk
Reaction score
Hello to all..

I am new at this site. If you read my posts I have been quite active since I joined. I have already learned alot. And hopefully helped some as well.

Ok..so today I cleaned the underside of my truck. I like to keep it grease and Oil free.

So after I finished using degreaser and a light pressure wash, I went to move the truck. Upon starting, I first off saw it cranked for a long time before it ran, way longer than it used too, and the "service engine soon" light came on. Not only that, but it sure seemed to be louder than it was. It sounded like my Cummings!!! Load diesel for sure!

I let it run for 20 mins and while running, I sprayed WD-40 on ALL electrical connections. It dried up nice. I moved it. Shut it down. Waited about 5-10 Minutes....again...it cranked a LONG time before it ran, and it was ratteling like a cummins. And the "service engine soon light" was still on.

Ok...So I disconnect the batteries...for about 20 Min. Re-connect...and tried to re-start...nothing changed.

Cold, Frustrated, and tired..I drove to Autozone...Hec..they have a scanner...right? Okay so they guy hooks it up...I get code for "Bad Crank Sensor". Makes sense...I just washed the underside of Engine areas.

Drive back home, It drove/Ran like shit. Hope that I could just use WD-40 and clear out moister on Crank Sensor, Well...upon further inspection...the wires going into the sensor where frayed and just plain ole' broken/Damaged. Real bad connection. Made sense!

Questions:

A. Crank Sensor plays a big part of the engine...So am I hearing things..or does the truck now sound like a rattaling Cummins...it really rattles loud...WHY??

B. Seems like the power..and drivability have gone WAY down hill.

C. This bad "crank sensor" seemed to be stuck in the block, I removed the hold down screw....It's not comming out...any suggestions? Common probelm?

So...YES it's bad...I now have to wait til Monday, to resolve the issue. Any Input or Ideas would be welcomed. I have searched the site and found out SOME information about the "Crank Sensor" any other info would be great!
:mad2:

Iam going to have some beers and get some sleep. Thanks in advance for your time.

Cheers!!!

David

your timing is off now. the ecm is not seeing the crank input and is readinr the cam sensor and dew to chain stretch, differs from the crank so yes it is louder. it will go back to norm when you replace it

your timing is off now. the ecm is not seeing the crank input and is readinr the cam sensor and dew to chain stretch, differs from the crank so yes it is louder. it will go back to norm when you replace it

Vegtech,
Well allright...that was some good information! Thank you! Phew...I was not hearing things! :smile5:

I know that crank sensors will wreak havoc with the ECU, and get things all out of wack. Never really dealt with one in a Diesel though.

Cheers!
David

Was it like this before you washed it?

Perhaps let it run some more, and clean up the sensor inputs, perhaps the water is interfering with the sensor working properly.

This is why I never spray a hose on my engines, I learned this the hard way years ago.

I now go under with degreaser, rags, and compressed air to do my cleanings. Never a hose.

Was it like this before you washed it?

Perhaps let it run some more, and clean up the sensor inputs, perhaps the water is interfering with the sensor working properly.

This is why I never spray a hose on my engines, I learned this the hard way years ago.

I now go under with degreaser, rags, and compressed air to do my cleanings. Never a hose.

Matt,
Well........was it like that BEFORE I washed? Good question.

Sunday, I removed the sensor, Had to make a puller with a screw, because the hold down tab broke off. I will post pictures later. Anyway...wow...when I got the sensor out...It was shot!
Dry rotted and the wires where barely making any contact...frayed..and corroded.

So this in turn, may have been an on going problem to begin with, as the truck did have a bit of long crank time. I think washing the underside...just finally finished that Sensor off.

I will get a new sensor today, re-set ECU, and give it a try.

Cheers!

Crank Sensor Update...

Ok, I got a new Crank Sensor. I installed it yesterday :

The truck had been sitting overnight with batteries dis-connected.

I even dis-connected the ECU. I cleaned the connectors as well.

I installed the new Crank sensor. Clean install. I re-connected the ECU and Batteries. Check all over made sure all was good.

Turned the key...and the ruck ran like...crap!! Idle up/down...huffs of black smoke, and noisy! Engine light still on!!

Shut it down, waited a minute, started...still...same. So as it was running, I dis-connected the new Crank sensor at the plug. Truck now Idles, no up/down, but still loud and just not right. Re-connected..NO CHANGE. Hmmm....bad sensor?

Shut it down. Walked away...thinking...:nonod:

Waited about 5 minutes or longer, I attemped to start one more time.

Started right up and ran great!! Or at least normal!

Let it Idle for 30 minutes or so. Looked it over..all seemed good. Check engine light was still on though.

Shut it down...re-start...started fine...ran fine...check engine light was now off.

Maybe the ECU...had to somehow re-learn? Strange..

Cold or hot, it starts much better now. Seems that Crank sensor WAS not operating correctly to begin with.

All good. :smile5:

Photos, Crank Sensor, Removal.

Here are Photos of Crank Sensor and what I used to remove it.

IMGP0894.JPG
This is a Pointed pry bar. I screwed an Eye hook into the Sensor body. Then I put pointed end of pry bar, through the eye. Slowly applied pressure, and the Sensor slid out.

IMGP0895.JPG
Another View of the Eye Hook, screwed into the Sensor.

IMGP0898.JPG
One more View.

IMGP0897.JPG
As you can see...the wires where indeed..one the way out. Bad connection for sure!!

As you can all see, the Sensor body was brittle. So be careful!

Hope this helps people see what they may be up for, and maybe this can help out with removal.

Cheers!

Good work, Hydrauk! As you guessed, your engine did indeed have to 're-learn', beceuse you had the batteries unplugged for such an extended period of time. If you had left them hooked up through this, things would have returned to normal as soon as you changed the sensor and fixed the wires.

I'm not sure about whether the OBD-II ecm will automatically re-learn the TD Offset, though... you may still have to do the ko-ko procedure.

Hopefully one of the experts will chime in here...

Wow, lucky you got that out. I've had them get so bad, I've had to remove the oil pan on GM's 3.1 V6's, :mad2:

When batts are disconnected for a while, the glowplug cycle doesn't always fire off the first time starting (No WTS light) thus your engine was starting without heat assist. Which explains the rough start.

What is the reason for them getting stuck in there?

Like in this thread, some pop right out and others, (The Majority) are a fight to the death.

Like his, the top breaks off and and nothing will grab to pull them or or there is no room to get them out or the top breaks off and they fall in, :mad2:

Good work, Hydrauk! As you guessed, your engine did indeed have to 're-learn', beceuse you had the batteries unplugged for such an extended period of time. If you had left them hooked up through this, things would have returned to normal as soon as you changed the sensor and fixed the wires.

I'm not sure about whether the OBD-II ecm will automatically re-learn the TD Offset, though... you may still have to do the ko-ko procedure.

Hopefully one of the experts will chime in here...

JiFaire,
Hello...and thank you!

What exactly do you mean by The "ko-ko" procedure?

JiFaire,
Hello...and thank you!

What exactly do you mean by The "ko-ko" procedure?

Ok..never mind. I have just read Threads on: TDCO Timming DS4 Injection Pump, and Lift Pumps and OPS operation. Learned ALOT!

Just yesterday I replaced my OPS and Installed a New Lift pump. Want to make sure they are going to get me back to Texas. The OPS almost fell apart, when I removed it.

From Your input and GMctd....I now realize what I need to do and or look for. There is some great information on those posts!!

Since I do not have a ScanTool, Iam hoping this morning I can head to AutoZone, and have them "Clear" my Crank Sensor Code. Then I suppose a Ko-KO procedure should be done???

The SES light is not on, But I suppose the code is still in the ECU??

Cheers!

Back