• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Crank case vent oil trap

Its more important on an IC'ed truck so oil vapors don't condense and reduce effeciency of IC and or clog up some tubes. Not as a big of deal on the 6.5 but might help some to reduce any incombustable recirculations and keep intake cleaner.

A guy on the Page built something similar and the jeep liberty has something silimar stock. I think Corvettes or some other high performance cars have them or add them??? Maybe can find something in Summit or Jegs. There was some chatter about them before.

I think the aftermarket and or jeep thingies use a media or filter similar to an air compressor vapor/water remover design.

It wasn't the coalescing/separation and possibly unique to the VW TDI but the back-pressure blew out the rubber diaphragm in the VW's equivalent of the 6.5s CDR.

Couple of guys I've talked to using the Pro-Vent "store bought" trap report less than stellar results also.

When I get back to MS I'm thinking of an eductor setup into the exhaust, or possibly a recirc system plumbing back into the oil fill tube like the early 6.2s had.

May be a pipe dream but what about a cyclone type system (the ones dust collectors use) to slow the air so the filter media has a chance to remove the oil?

The "cyclones" take energy to work. I played with a cyclone vacuum system once and the pressure drop across the cyclone was appreciable and was a drain on the available vacuum. But it did keep the down stream filter media from clogging too fast by dropping out a lot of the dust/crud. Oil seperators on top of cutting machines (with oil coolant) use an electric motor to spin the oil mist ladened air. I am not sure there is that much energy in the intake vacuum to appreciably spin the air????

What seems to work well is a large volume that is cooled like an intercooler. The large cross section or volume allows the velocity to slow and also some cooling condenses the oil vapor out pretty good. And I think with no real loss of flow or vaccum on the crankcase .

Air compressor tanks also seem to drop out moisture due to slow air speed from the large volume. If you can find enough space behind the grill tucked near the headlights like the power steering cooler behind headlights. Some wide flat flask like aluminum tank. The large cross section would slow flow and aluminum would cool gasses. Then have a largish hose routed back to filler tube. Or maybe a tank underneath the truck.

But I think unless you are worried about clogging an intercooler you are not gaining much. The oil vapors the actual oil dropplets are probably combustible and provide a small bit of energy. But the air or gas parts are probably mostly blowby gasses and composed of carbon dioxide and carbon monoxides and thus incombustible and not contributing to the internal combustion effeciency recircutating them ????

I guess 30%? of blowby gasses are from combustion pressure leakage past rings and 70%? are from compression stroke leakage past rings. And the oil mist comes from the blast past the rings and whipping/sling off of the crank, rods, and piston. Plus some crud from combustion gasses. ????

Last edited:
Back