• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cowl induction hood

pupedog7

Reaction score
Installing a new cowl induction hood on my truck and was wondering if i should install the factory insulation on it or not. Seems it would cut down on the cooling effect, but protect the paint from heat. any thoughts.........

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd guess that insulation probably cuts down some noise/diesel clatter also?

I caught a hailstorm last summer so planning to put on a cowl induction hood also. Don't know if the rear opening will pull in (that's the direction I'd expect air to go at highway speeds) enough airflow to show a significant difference in underhood temps.

Where did you source your hood & how was the quality/fit?

I put a cowl hood on my truck last fall, ran awhile without the insulation, then decided to install it cause I was tired of seeing it laying in the garage. The noise level did drop drastically but can not say anything about the temps. I would suggest running a bit without the insulation then add it in to see if you like it. I plan to cut section out over the air filter box and try to use it to "duct" cool air from the cowl induction to help intake air temps, sorta actually make it cowl "induction"

That w/ - vs - w/o the stock fiber insulation noise comparison is good to know.

My truck's stock firewall fiber insulation was very torn up. So when I had the engine out to build, I applied sound dampening material with a foil reflective surface on the firewall in an attempt to control engine noise in the cab. It certainly helps, but I think it's probably not as quiet as w/ the stock fw insulation intact. Suspect that stock fiber insulation absorbs some of the diesel clatter that probably just gets reflected around off the foil surface.

Wonder how much engine noise attenuation the Lizard Skin spray on sound insulation would provide? I gather a replacement of the stock firewall fiber insulation is pretty hard to find.

Cowl Hood

:nopics:
Would like to see pictures of the hood.
I think cowl hoods look good
Darryl

Ive been looking for some steel cowls I could tig weld to my hood. I can't find any that arnt massive.

I like these, I think this would be better for the 6.5 since it seems to have air flow problems going out.
The cowl hood does not let air out (mysteriously) it actually lets air into the engine compartment when driving. I had leaves laying on there and expected them to be blown off and could actually see it being sucked or pressed against the back of the hood. This is the "induction" part when the hood is a functioning one like mine. However, I believe that when stopped, air would be coming out if the insulation was left off.

Cowl induction works because the base of the windshield becomes a high pressure area at speed. An opening at the back of the the hood actually allows air to be pulled/blown INTO the engine compartment. That's why they have cowl vents at the base of the windshield to draw air into the cabin. The high pressure can be drawn off to create a breeze or blowing effect through the vehicles vent system.

It's an aerodynamics thing...

Stationary, it's just a big hole in the hood and would allow convective heat to escape.

And rain and snow to come in......;)

Last edited:
Back