• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

couple questions

well i'm down to 2 trucks and cant decide which one because i like both.

option 1: 2001 gmc 2500HD extended cab 4x4. loaded with cloth interior, brush guard, short bed, 60k miles for 11,500 bucks. 8.1L with auto (allison correct?)

2: 2005 ford (yes i know) f250 4x4 extended cab long bed. 2" lift, 35" tires, little more basic interior with 110k miles for 9,300 bucks. 5.4L v8 auto.

need help deciding, ford already has the solid front axle i want as well as the lift/tires, cheaper but its a ford and has less power with similar fuel economy. gmc has the power, smoother ride, much nicer, but costs more. total price for the gmc including what i owe on my trade in vehicle will be 12,600 plus tax. ford will be about 10k plus tax, but already has the solid front axle (i go offroading alot). opinions please!!!

Be leery about the Ford auto tranny in their pickups. They tend to blow up. My old boss had to sink about $6,000 into his tranny after it literally went kaboom after 60k miles.

Yes, the only auto w/ 8.1 in the pickups is the Allison. That price seems a bit steep to me for something 8 years old. Low miles though.

Unless you do some extreme technical offroading I don't see where the IFS would be a problem. Get a bit of a lift and have fun. JMHO.

what about an 02 gmc 3500HD 4x4? fully loaded with leather, crew cab long bed dually with duramax/allison combo for 11k out the door.

x2 lol. beautiful truck expecially for the price and the ride amazed me for a 1 ton truck, definatly too nice to take it out on the rocks. but hey, i could pick up another old truck for a few hundred bucks and tow it along with a friends vehicle (or 2) to moab and places like that. that old k5 blazer (pictures in my garage on the other site) i got for 300 bucks running, bet i could find something like that again. just fell in love with this land yacht and want it bad, approved for the loan just trying to see if i can get more for the yukon selling it outright than trade in for the next few days.

LB7's had injector issues so remember that. That 8.1 isnt too bad considering the miles. All be said though if you can get that for 10 or under thats what Id do so I wasnt worrying bout when I would have to be coming up with more than a few G's to replace injectors.

While my CCLB is an absolute beast in mud and snow (especially with chains on all 4 tires) it is NOT the most maneuverable thing in the mountains. That's where the old Cherokee comes in handy. As long as I don't have to tow anything.

10k for a 2000+ 3/4 or 1 ton that doesnt have the 6.0L? other than these listed the next cheapest truck thats not destroyed (that i've found) is 16k for an 01 f250. i've found an 02 ccsb with the 8.1 for 16.5k, most the duramax rigs 22k+ that i'm finding except for former oilfield trucks, but the body on those rigs is in almost equal shape to my old 79 k5 (horrible). how much can you replace injectors for if you do it yourself? i know its not a couple hundred like how the 6.2/6.5L is but how much more? 1-2k?

lol gotta agree about the lack of maneuverabilty off road but i'd pick up an old play rig again and use the tow rig as my daily driver and pull the toy around.

Man look around the country then. Thats waaaaaay over priced IMO. You can find those all day long around here for 10. Hell mine is MINT with alot of upgrades and the dealer was only offering $8K last year for trade in. Told yea right. I'll keep it and give it to my wife when I get a diesel. Nothing wrong with it just wanted to see what they would offer. Injectors would be around that if ya did it yourself I would assume since you would be replacing other things. I think its like 4-5 at the dealer IIRC. I could be wrong though IDK.

Heres what I found in 2 seconds of searching...Im sure I could find you more if you needed. http://www.automart.com/vehicledetail/adid-94215238/2004/chevrolet/silverado-2500-pickup/canton/oh/pkg-gold

And heres a diesel 2wd though but for reference. http://www.automart.com/vehicledetail/adid-95595872/2006/chevrolet/silverado-and-other-c/k2500/columbiana/oh/pkg-gold

Goto traderonline.com and do a search. Area code here 43068

must be the area then, trucks down here (i'm in Texas right now, bout to move to Utah and found some for a little cheaper up there) are rust free and most out in west Texas that are in good shape go for alot of money. oilfield abused trucks and ranch trucks are cheap but completely abused. did a search on ksl.com, local Utah website and found a couple 1 tons that look in good shape for around 10-16k for the 2000-2005 era and 6 95-early 2000 for 3-8k, most with big blocks but a few diesels.

i would stay away from the ford, especially the issues about spark plug replacement on the triton. trannys suck too.

I highly recommend a GM truck, especially if you go auto tranny. GM offers the best autos. The D/A will cot more in maintenance, but dependent on needs, it should be worth it. at this point i recommend beating on price on the 8.1/Ally.

But on a Gm go mild on lift, tires etc if you don't want to spend bucks on the front end (rear end is near bulletproof)

good luck!

must be the area then, trucks down here (i'm in Texas right now, bout to move to Utah and found some for a little cheaper up there) are rust free and most out in west Texas that are in good shape go for alot of money. oilfield abused trucks and ranch trucks are cheap but completely abused. did a search on ksl.com, local Utah website and found a couple 1 tons that look in good shape for around 10-16k for the 2000-2005 era and 6 95-early 2000 for 3-8k, most with big blocks but a few diesels.

they are cheaper, but they are needles in haystacks, gotta be dilligent n the local classifieds and local for sale papers.:thumbsup:

but all this is non-dealer pricing that i am talking about.

That 5.4 is a dog with fleas. It'll do whatever you ask it to, but don't expect to do it very quickly.

well heres an update. i applied for a loan on the 02 gmc (favorite by far that i've found), bank/credit union said my credit score was great but that my credit history isnt long enough without a cosigner and my parents have bad credit so no luck with them. i arrived in Layton Utah last saturday afternoon, been getting settled in but i think i'll go looking around this weekend.

Bummer.

Don't be afraid to check multiple banks and credit unions.

Probably doesn't help you at this point in time, but I've found that belonging to a smaller local bank/CU can be really beneficial over the years. I don't live near my CU anymore, but I've been with them so long that I can get just about any kind of loan with just a phone call when the bigger banks said no. They know that I'm good for the money.

thats what gets me though, being military a bank or credit union KNOWS they will get their money no matter what. if i were to fall behind on payments all they would have to do is contact the USAF and the money they want would be automatically deducted from my paycheck. 1 bad mark on my credit history thats been removed from 2 of the 3 credit bureaus but a great score, just not a long history yet. i'll see what i can find here soon though, get my sign on bonus coming in soon so i'd have some money to put down or maybe just buy one outright.

well i have a big block rig now, its probably not gonna be my tow rig but it is my offroad vehicle and is in pretty good shape considering.
IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

1984 k30 with a 454, th400 auto, np205 t-case and 14 bolt ff rear axle. got it for 300 bucks and a replacement motor for 250, not bad at all. its my play truck, break something on it and i wont care but drives good for its age.

aw man, bringing back the memories. I had an '84 K20 for a few years. Dad had an '84 K30 CCLB he bought new.

I loved the bodystyle on those trucks

old motor is sitting in the bed in the 1st pic all the way back by the tailgate, suspension didnt even notice it back there lol. driver side exhaust manifold is givin me trouble, been trying to bolt it back onto the motor but the emissions stuff (little probes that stick through it) wont line up just right. think i'll just spend the money and get some headers for her

Back