• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

couple questions

red

Being a lake bum in Texas
Reaction score
i found a 2000 gmc ccsb 2500 4x4 with the 454 motor in it. 115,000 miles, leather, loaded nice looking truck. looks like it had a 5th wheel or goosneck setup in the bed (large plate there now coving it up), auto so 4L80E and a 14bff rear axle and dual exhaust to the muffler, looks like 3" with a single outlet after the muffler. dealer has had it for at least a few months, asking 9k for it. my questions are what type of issues to expect with the truck? considering trading in my 95 yukon for it (6.5L 2 door 4x4), also what kinda fuel economy did that era 454 get?

Overpriced IMO. You can find 8.1L all day for that with same cab set up. I'd have an 8.1 any day over a 454. I say get em down to 6 or 7 and its a deal. Do your research and goto KBB and Nadaguides and work it to your advantage on your trade-in and that price. Look around and see what they are selling for from private owners too in your area. I got under 100K miles on mine with ALOT done to it and was offered only 9K trade-in in February.

took it for a test trive a few days ago, ran good but 2 issues that i noticed. 1, felt like a hub bearing up front was gettin ready to go (making noise, jacked it up and was able to move the wheel around). 2. high pitched squeel from the engine compartment, went away the moment i put the truck in gear and didnt return. dont think it was the belt, differant pitch but definatly from that area (maybe a bearing from one of the accesories on the motor?).

dont think its gonna happen though, didnt seem like they were going to give very much on a trade in for my yukon.

x2 :iagree:

I drove a reg cab 4x4, 98 454 and it is no comparison to the 8.1 that I used to own. Not that the previous owner hammered on the truck but 115k and towed plus it needs a wheel bearing, I think you can find better. 454 will get about the same mileage as a 496.

At least if you get the 8.1 you will get the Allison tranny, the 8.1 should get better gas milage towing. I know a fella who towed with his fathers 2000 RCLB 454 and only got 6mpg pulling around 7k. If i remember correctly the fella above me here towed his Toyota to the same place, same miles, same route, drove faster and got 10-11mpg with his 8.1. Granted the toy is probably 2k lighter than the other fella's truck but 02ltduramax also has a much heavier right foot. As everyone has said, shop around. I know the local want ad here has an 06 LBZ, CCSB, 4X4 with no advertised milage for $14,900, i have also seen 2001-2004 2500HD's with 6.0's as cheap as $3k with high miles.

The worst towing mileage I've gotten so far on the highway out of my beast is 9mpg. That was towing a horse trailer empty from north Idaho to Vegas and loaded on the way back, holding around 65-70mph.

Our family vacation last year with the pickup camper was around 10.5mpg. Empty I get 11mpg. I'm running 4.10 gearing though, one w/ 3.73 should get a tad better with the lighter hauling weights.

454 is a good motor, but 496 is better. Plus like has been said, you get the allison. Leaps and bounds better than the 4L80E that the 454 has.

thx yall, i'll keep looking around then to see what i can find. i like the yukon i have right now, just dont like not having a truck bed anymore because i carry messy stuff around from time to time.

You cant beat a 496. Dont get me wrong the 454 is a good motor and lasts forever too but for the price these are now I would definetly get a 8.1L. Ive towed my 18' cargo trailer outta town alot and have never had a prob with maintaining speed..even on hills. I roll out usually at 80 mph with it too. Thats all with 3.73's and 286's and BEFORE EFI Live. If I see anything I'll let ya know.

woodchuck what kinda shape are those 3/4 tons your talking about in? still running/rebuildable or utterly destroyed?

did the 8.1 ever come with the zf6? i prefer a stick shift, whatever i get (if i can afford it, yukon would have to go) will end up with a solid front axle down the road if it doesnt have it already. year is not really a problem, so long as its affordable for me.

Last edited:
Ya, the 496 did have the manual tranny option. Hard to find though, considering it's rare enough to just find a truck with the 496, and most came with the allison.

I gotta believe most pickups w/ the 496 are 2500HD, 3.73 gearing, allison

The 3500's came w/ 4.10 gearing, both DRW and SRW versions.

Ya, the 496 did have the manual tranny option. Hard to find though, considering it's rare enough to just find a truck with the 496, and most came with the allison.

I gotta believe most pickups w/ the 496 are 2500HD, 3.73 gearing, allison

The 3500's came w/ 4.10 gearing, both DRW and SRW versions.

Exactly....chances are your not going to find that and if you do you will be traveling to get it. Its like finding a needle in a hay stack.

woodchuck what kinda shape are those 3/4 tons your talking about in? still running/rebuildable or utterly destroyed?

did the 8.1 ever come with the zf6? i prefer a stick shift, whatever i get (if i can afford it, yukon would have to go) will end up with a solid front axle down the road if it doesnt have it already. year is not really a problem, so long as its affordable for me.

Here is a link to the Want Ad, you will have to scroll down to the 06's, the CCSB i mentioned for $14.9k is the "new ad". Apparently the owner pulled the photo and raised his price to $15.9k but it is the same truck. The other is two vehicles below it, ECLB for $17.7k in Vermont.
http://www.wantaddigest.com/view/catlist26.asp?cat=TCHE&page=3

I have been looking for the ad for the 2500HD for $3k and apparently it sold. If i remember correctly it was an 02 2500HD, RCLB, 4X4, 6.0, auto in white with either 280k or 320k miles. The photo showed a clean truck and all highway miles. If my finances had been in order i would have bought it just to put a plow/sander on it.

decided against the 2000, and price of the big blocks locally has started going back up so a newer truck wont happen yet. however, (i'll know for sure friday) what i've been told is that, as an E-2 in the military when i transport my stuff to utah here in a month that i'll be paid roughly $1 per pound (max they pay for is 5k lbs, any xtra weight is on my dollar) and that my yukon, if its on a trailer, will be included in my total weight but if the yukon is the vehicle doing the towing that it will not.

so, i can either load my motorcycle and other gear into a uhaul trailer behind the yukon, and transport 1,000-2,000lbs worth of stuff. OR i can get the 91 k3500 (pics below) for $1500, throw the bike/gear in the bed, and put the yukon on a uhaul car hauler behind the pickup.
http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn131/hillbilly28092/?action=view&current=Brownie026.jpg

which do yall think? figure the 3500 will get 7-9mpg, costing roughly 450-600 bucks in fuel for the 2400 mile trip as compared to 250-300 for the yukon. would get paid about 1200-2000 if i drove the yukon, and about 5k if i use the k3500.

454 with auto (th400 for this year correct?). has 240k miles but is currently his daily driver and drives/pulls good. 4wd works, fresh tune up, brakes, basic beater truck. interior pics are at the beginning of the link.

thats what i'm thinking, distance could be a problem though since he's in north carolina and i'm in florida. i'll be picking up something soon, 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

Back