• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Copper spray on head gaskets?

Reaction score
Hi.
IIRR Heath used copper spray on the head gaskets on his race truck, and roumors says he's using it on a regular basis? Any experiences out there? What happens if the copper finds it ways into oil and water passages?
Thanks

the copper spray I've used sets up tacky kinda like contact cement. shouldn't be an issue getting in the oil/water

The idea is that you spray the copper-spray-a-gasket on the gasket itself. Support the gasket in the air with something like a bungee cord in a tree or off a cherry picker and spray both sides with a moderate amount. Don't soak it, just get a good layer going. Then set the gasket where you want and there you go. The spray a gasket is tacky like AK said so it will stick to whatever you are putting it on and hold itself there so as long as the surface is clean and free of oil.

The mechanic who worked for us used Coppercoat everytime he installed heads. He used it on heavy equipment and heavy trucks. It was explained to me that its for severe duty applications. If I were doing the heads I'd use it.

You can use it if you want, I like to when one surface or both aren't fresh, just aids in sealing older surfaces, gives me piece of mind. Spray and let it get tacky/dry.

Hi.
Thanks. Seems like copper spray(gasket) is unavailable here in Norway. I've tried to find Permatex 80697 but impossible. I suppose copper paste is not an option as it's not anti-seizing purpose I'm out for?
Thanks.

Back