• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Copper injector washer

bralos

Reaction score
When I changed out my injector this weekend. The new injector did not come with the copper seal. Auto zone and advanced auto parts does not have any and can not get. NAPA this Moring has the whole seal kit for 64.00. I only need 1 copper washer a couple extra as spares. Anyone know where I can get just a few?

Thanks

When I changed out my injector this weekend. The new injector did not come with the copper seal. Auto zone and advanced auto parts does not have any and can not get. NAPA this Moring has the whole seal kit for 64.00. I only need 1 copper washer a couple extra as spares. Anyone know where I can get just a few?

Thanks

Hmm, when i bought new injectors from Napa they each came with a copper washer. This was a month ago.

Do you still have your old one? I actually got 2 different styles from napa, One Echlin, One Bosch (packaging) and both came with copper gasket.

Read somewhere If you heat it cherry red and dip it in cold water it will allow you to reuse it. Do with that what you may, as I have only read this.

Had to reuse the old one to get it out of the shop. but will not drive it until I get a new one. Called NAPA today. They are calling over to machine shop to see if they have couple that they will give me. Would not mind fining a few online as spares though. I am the type that likes to have LOTS of extra parts around. I am always working on something late at night and Sundays. So nice to have spare stuff when everyone is closed.

Thanks
Jonathan

Read somewhere If you heat it cherry red and dip it in cold water it will allow you to reuse it. Do with that what you may, as I have only read this.

Within the last few days Bison posted this, shoot him a PM to be sure. Leo

Yes, just heat them cherry red, dunk in water and you are ready to reuse them.
I done it lots of times with copper washers of all sizes cause new ones are often hard to find, and i aint about to drive 40 miles for $2 worth of washer.

Go to you local hardware store, they usualy have a little tray of them. You may also want to try some place that sells farm equipment, my tractor has these copper washers on everything.

IIRC, I saw it at Harbor Freight in a tray of different sizes. I am not sure if it includes the injector size or not.

1) most copper washer assortments are standard sizes.[usually have 10 you can use and 50 or more you never use, same as 0 ring kits. You figure the price per washer used.
2) 6.5 injector washers are metric [ kit is hard to get, and have same problem as standard kits]
3) hunting down 1 or 2 washers can be time consuming and therefor costly.

There is absolutely no reason not to reuse the old washers if they are otherwise in good shape when restored to new condition with procedure discribed.
A small pocket propane torch, a piece of steel wire to hang the washer from and a cup of water is all that,s needed.

This is what repairing is all about, make do with what you have if it can be done right.

Ive never had a injector out on a 6.5, do these seal the injector in the head? If so I would just leave the injector in there and spray some wd40 on it and look for bubbles. If its not leaking I dont see any reason to pull it out to change the washer.

Ive never had a injector out on a 6.5, do these seal the injector in the head? If so I would just leave the injector in there and spray some wd40 on it and look for bubbles. If its not leaking I dont see any reason to pull it out to change the washer.

He replaced that injector.

1) most copper washer assortments are standard sizes.[usually have 10 you can use and 50 or more you never use, same as 0 ring kits. You figure the price per washer used.
2) 6.5 injector washers are metric [ kit is hard to get, and have same problem as standard kits]
3) hunting down 1 or 2 washers can be time consuming and therefor costly.

There is absolutely no reason not to reuse the old washers if they are otherwise in good shape when restored to new condition with procedure discribed.
A small pocket propane torch, a piece of steel wire to hang the washer from and a cup of water is all that,s needed.

This is what repairing is all about, make do with what you have if it can be done right.

This how it used to be done when parts were hard to find, this method works well.

Back