• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cooling system issue?

Murph

Reaction score
98 6.5 K1500 'burb.

Left the truck running after a 5 mile trip on Tuesday morning, got in and the temp gauge was over between 210* and the next major hashmark (235*?) and the rear heat was blowing cold. Felt the upper radiator hose and while it was hot, it was also soft, so I opened the overflow tank and had a geyser of coolant...:iamwithstupid:

I can't see the "cold" mark on the overflow bottle, how far up from the bottom should there be coolant? Two days in a row the bottle looked empty, and I added about 5 or 6 pints of water.

Andy

running hot, no heat in back, hot but soft hose, geyser..

all indicative of air in the system..

either from a 2 way leak.. allowing coolant to flow out, and air in, or.. worse yet, a bad head gasket allowing compression into the water jacket.. start looking for a coolant leak and hope its not a bad head gasket

stretch a ballon over the tank neck and see if it keeps fillin with air while the engine is running..

When you fill it open the bleeder on the thermostat housing until coolant bleeds out otherwise air will remain in the system. Had the same problem in a older 4.0 Cherokee and ended up replacing the rad with a later model with a regular cap on the tank to make it work.

Back