• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

cooling system help.

87 chevy

Reaction score
87 chevy v20 silverado 4 speed manual 6.2l with just over 950000 orig miles. From ny so dont drive the truck in the winter, needs a new paint job. Question I have to repair the radiator due to corrosion leaks. Going to replace the thermostat but cant find what the original thermostat opening temperature was used. I've looked all over the internet but cant find a straight answer. the p/n 14077122 is all i can find stamped on the thermostat and when i look at ordering it online,depending on the mfg that p/n will cross reference to other thermos with opening temps anywhere from 160 degrees to 190 degrees and i would like to know what the original opening temp thermostat came with the engine and what mfg replacement is recommended. Appreciate any help.

Welcome.
The range of thermostats available is because different climates and work loads.
190-195 offers best mpg, but overheating is the huge concern and #1 killer of these engines. Ignore the nonsense that 220 and 230 is ok- 210 should be your time to panic. So I prefer to give up 1/2 or 1 mpg and run in the 180 range so there is more headroom when things go up with temp.

AC Delco or Robertson brand stat have best history.

Nobody like buying a new radiator, but it is better than buying a new engine and radiator when you waited too long.

Talk to Chris of @Twisted Steel Performance about the new coated radiator. He has what is best option for pickups currently.

there is a ton of other stuff here for you to learn to keep costs down and life of truck up.
It’s easy for me to overwhelm a person with options of what they need - listing what you have done like how old harmonic balancer is or if yours has the mechanical lift pump knowing your weep holes are clear and monitoring fuel pressure is high on the list.

one step ata atime

Will thank you for the response, since i only drive the truck in the summer months and the only towing i do is a 18 foot bayliner boat open bow. I replaced the mechanical fuel pump with a K&N electrice pump 81-0403 which produces 7-10 pound of pressure. I'm still having fuel problems where air is seeping in to the system when shut down, I replaced all the rubber fuel lines except for the hoses off of the fuel tanks. But i eliminated those hose by using a 5 gallon can full of diesel in a test to isolate the problem and the only place i think is the problem of air seepage is in the original rectangle fuel filter block, So i will be looking at replacing that next, after some research on which fuel filter system is best to go with.
Welcome.
The range of thermostats available is because different climates and work loads.
190-195 offers best mpg, but overheating is the huge concern and #1 killer of these engines. Ignore the nonsense that 220 and 230 is ok- 210 should be your time to panic. So I prefer to give up 1/2 or 1 mpg and run in the 180 range so there is more headroom when things go up with temp.

AC Delco or Robertson brand stat have best history.

Nobody like buying a new radiator, but it is better than buying a new engine and radiator when you waited too long.

Talk to Chris of @Twisted Steel Performance about the new coated radiator. He has what is best option for pickups currently.

there is a ton of other stuff here for you to learn to keep costs down and life of truck up.
It’s easy for me to overwhelm a person with options of what they need - listing what you have done like how old harmonic balancer is or if yours has the mechanical lift pump knowing your weep holes are clear and monitoring fuel pressure is high on the list.

one step ata atime

Yeah those rectangular filters were a constant issue. We used to rip them off and just use a spin on 5 micron.
tapping a pressure gauge right at the injection pump inlet is best but annoying to install

Back