• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Coolant

woodchuck2

Reaction score
Well the ole girl be leaking its coolant somewhere. No visual leaks yet and it seems to be going through about 6-8oz every week or so. I can smell it on the passeneger side of the truck but still cant see anything. I will be doing a coolant pressure test to see if i can find it before it goes to the dealer. Its covered under GMPP but i cant be without the truck right now. It does all my towing and plowing so hopefully it is something simple. Anyone else having problems with sudden coolant loss?

top off your reservoir...and after running the truck somewhere...shut it off...pop the hood and feel your upper radiator hose...is it rock hard?

if so make note..

next find a small bottle to place under the coolant reservoir overflow hose...one of those kids size plastic milk bottles works good...run the truck and each day check the bottle...make note of any coolant in the bottle...

by now you may know where I'm going with this...it may be a head gasket leaking...

If you are pressure testing the system(overnight) it may be a good idea to look into each cylinder by pulling the glow plugs and looking for coolant...

I'm just being overly cautious, because the smell of coolant on the passenger side is not a good thing IMO

I have been kind of worried about it being a gasket too since i cant see any visual leaks. IMO its going through too much coolant just to be seeping/evaporating. I wont be pressure testing it too long to prevent any hydroloc inside the engine. I just want to verify its not an external leak. The dealer should be able to detect a head gasket by testing the radiator for any exhaust gasses. I have a tester for this but it is only for a gasser, the dealer should have one for a diesel. I have been pestering my niebor to sell one of his trucks but he hasnt decided yet. He has an 03 1500 Z-71 with a 7.5' Fisher that is all beat to hell and is starting to rot out and he has an 04 3500 one ton dump 4X4 that is also beat pretty bad. Both trucks only have around 30-35k on them. The 03 had a new tranny put in it at 18k and i beleive i was the last one to clean it back in 03 when it was new and i took it in for service at the dealer. I offered him $5k for the 1500 and $10k for the 3500, both trucks are worth around $10k each according to Kelly blue book. This fella owes me some $$ for electric work i have done for him and he wants me to do more yet so hopefully we can barter some one of the trucks. I just cant be without this truck this time of year :mad2: .

the exhaust tester doesnt usually work on these trucks. in fact i have yet to see one detect anything. plus the ehad gaskets dont usually leak that badly or break that badly that they leak much of a sign. even when taken apart. we are doing one now in the shop for another member here and he was losing the same or a bit less. but it was losing it. we have seen so many of them now that have a small leak and checked everything, tested all possibilities and all that is left is head gaskets. you take em apart and find nothing, but they never come back for coolant leak. atleast until they go bad again. makes for warranty nightmares, trying to prove it was actually leaking to get paid for the job. how many miles on the truck?

71k on it now. I pressure tested it with no sign of pressure loss. I only let it sit for about 15 minutes and no drop. I topped off the coolant level and now it is fine again, no loss and no smell. Go figure:rolleyes5:. I will mention it to the dealer when it goes in for service which will be probably next week. Time for an LOF, tranny service and fuel filter anyway. If things change i will post results. At least now i wont be without wheels for my business.

Well i went out to the driveway this morning and for the first time the truck puked coolant all over the ground on the drivers side front under the frame. I still cant see anything visually but the frame is clean of salt and i can see the lower corner of the radiator is all festered up. I dont know if this is the leak but at least now i know its not a head gasket and most likely a radiator. I will be calling the dealer Monday morning for service and now GMPP will be getting used again. So far GMPP has been well worth the money.

Last edited:
Well i took the pile to the stealer today. It took them over an hour to diag the leak. They did a pressure test and found no pressure drop, no leaks and no signs of a leak "roads were wet this morning and probably washed off any coolant residue" I talk directly to the tech and he stated that he was pulling/twisting on all the hoses when he found the bottom hose would wiggle some. Turned out to be a loose hose clamp. Cheap easy fix thankfully.

Back