• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Coolant temp gauge acting funny...

I would first clean all grounds to rule that out. Then the sender.

Bad connection at the sensor. Possible coolant leak through the sensor. Bad wire rubbing or burnt through. Wire could reach/burn on the exhaust manifold on mine anyway.

Boiling coolant in the block... (bad water pump or weak radiator cap...)

i did notice that under hood was not very hot at all, and i could squeeze the upper radiator hose easily and watch the coolant in the overflow rise and fall

the stepper motors in the cluster have been known to have problems.
my fuel guage is doing a similar thing in that it will read the fuel level and be noisy for about 30 seconds and then shut off.
I have a stepper motor set ordered to change out all 6 gauge motors at once.
will try to update results when complete.
keep the previous seggestions in mind though also, but I am thinking sending unit connection or stepper motor/cluster connection.

i hooked my scan tool up and the ecu sender was reading properly, cleaned the connection on the sender for the gauge we'll see if that fixes it, if not I ordered a replacement from napa.

I had the same problem, temp would be reading fine then it would jump up then down again. I pulled my gauge cluster and cleaned the terminals on the cluster and the dash with electrical cleaner on a Q-tip. I haven't had the problem since.

Steve

Back