• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Coolant leak

cornemuse

Reaction score
My ('84 Blazer) 6.2 engine developed a coolant leak recently. I replaced the water pump on my '82 6.2 PU (long ago), and assume the pump has failed this time. It appears to be coming from behind the pump, but there is now a constant slow dripping of coolant. When I last drove it, I noticed temp making wild fluctuations in readings. Opened the hood at home and coolant was spewing everywhere. It took nearly 3 gallons coolant to fill, so I decided there it will sit till it gets warm enough for me to work on it, I am retired and dont work in the cold anymore) Q Would the water pump leak that badly?? Suggestions?? -corne-

Check the coolant crossover, where the heater hose comes out towards the passenger side is a common leak area. Also, like orrum said, that's a massive amount of coolant to leak out, check all the hoses carefully. If you run your hand down each hose, touching all surfaces, you might get lucky and find the leak. Feel for any soft spots, bulges, anything that doesn't feel right. Dry off all hoses. If it is a hose you might also be able to find it as an area that keeps staying wet, no matter how much you try to dry it off.

You'll just might have to start the motor to see where the coolant is coming from. Just make sure the motor is full of coolant and dry before you start it to make it easier to pinpoint where the coolant is coming from.

Don

Finished replacing the pump yesterday, yes the pump was bad, I couldnt believe how loose the shaft was in the body. The leak was coming from the (weep?) hole under the pump, but it was a very strong drip, bordering on a stream. I r&r'ed a 6.2 water p 20 years ago, (diff vehicle), & must have blocked the horror of this task from my mind! tightening the alt & ac pump belts was straightforward, but how does one tighten the p.s. pump belt??
-corne-

I usually tighten the P.S. from underneath the truck... IIRC there is a spot in the bracket for a 1/2" drive ratchet... or use a pry bar BUT BE CAREFULL where you pry! I've seen someone poke a hole in the resivor before

Everythihg seems ok. After perusing the shop man, I thought I'd add to overflow resivoire(!?) I never did this before, , , turns out it has a HUGE (actually two) crack(s) in it and I got my feet wet! Swapped it out yesterday, also, I knocked off the lead to temp sensor apparantly when I dis / connected the ps pump, I knew it was running hotter than 100 deg.! (usually at 180-190 deg). Found the sq drive hole- thanx Matt. -corne-

Back