• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Coolant in Oil - Advise

dtreid

Reaction score
Have a chance to buy a truck...98 Chev 2500 4x4, ext cab, long box, auto, awesome body, 190000kms, original owner.

Owner said that it worked great until coolant started going into the oil, but only if it sat for several days. Had a mechanic pull the heads. Mechanic told him that the block was cracked.

I looked in the cylinders and couldn't see any cracks. Heads have been off for over a year, engine covered with a blanket, but there is some corrosion on several cyl walls.

Want's $1k for it.

Is it worth it? If block is indeed cracked I'm not interested, but is there a chance it's just head gaskets?

I would buy it in a heart beat for that money. Buy a rebuild for 5k and have a heck of a nice truck. But I see you have a couple toys already. Would make a great parts truck too.

I guess I'm wondering what the chances are that the motor just had a bad head gasket or two. If so, then it's pretty minor to put it back together.

If it's been apart that long not good. Sounds like at a minmum you would need to hone the cylinders at this point. Let me tell you a little story of a 6.2 the 6.5 little brother. In my old 83 hte motor puked(air cleaner stud sucked into cylinder,,UGGLLYY) I got a used one for next to nothing. Dropped it in. Was burning antifreeze like mad. I pulled both heads. As near as my naked eye could tell block was fine. Put two new heads and head gaskets on it. Started it up . Still burning antifreeze. I put GM Tabs in and that fixed it but I think the block was probably hairline cracked between headbolt hole and cyliner ?? Bottom line is you will probably not be able to tell at this point(unless it's really obvious). My advice for 1000$..Buy the truck, look for used 6.5, They are out there just gotta look. I would not spenk 5K putting a motor in a 98 unless you are really in love with it(Like I am with my Tahoe). 6.2 are readily availible and can be retroed with 6.5 parts IIRC. Not ideal setup but works fine for those on tight budget.

Back