• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Converting a 99 Yukon to diesel

micky_blue

Reaction score
hey guys, I have an idea... Is there a worse way to start a thread on a forum? I doubt it. Anyway, instead of building an engine of questionable origins and dealing with the cluster F of wiring; is it possible to buy either a van or truck 01+ 6.5 based on this platform and just swap all of the wiring, engine, trans, everything? I thought I read that there were K3500s (flatbed style) built up to 02 and I have no clue what blocks were used in the G3500 trucks.

Anyone with any ideas or am I truly wasting my time?

thanks
micky

I would think the easiest way to swap to a diesel would be a mechanical one. You would only need to switch the throttle peddle to a cable one. If you wanted to stay electronic, I suppose it could be done, but (just guessing - no first hand knowledge) it would be a real pain in the butt.

Vans and 3500HD cab and chassis went to 02 and there are probably some bread truck vans running the 6.5s in that time period.

I think the wiring would be the same in 01-02 6.5s as late 90's. Check your state laws about older diesels in newer trucks first but you can buy 2001-12 long blocks for 6.5s and probably squeak by. There have been a few swaps the reverse way with a dmax into 90's rigs but havent seen many people put old tech into new

My truck is a 2000 Denali which is the older body style. The reason I was thinking of this for a swap is everything SHOULD swap from vehicle to vehicle. All sensors, gauge cluster, everything. There would be no need to try and get a PCM for the trans or track down any wiring gremlins. My 350 has a slightly knocking lifter and at 180k I am finding metal on the drain plug. That's my logic.

Edit - and I was hoping to get an AM General block and heads in the donor

everything should bolt up (will want a diesel torque converter if you decide to use the gas transmission), just make sure to have a complete donor vehicle so you can get all the wiring and associated components. a 6.5 from a van has different heads/intake manifold/turbo location (center mounted, unlike the trucks/suburbans where the turbo is on the passanger side).

Does the denial have the auto all wheel drive t-case? That could make the wiring little different and might make using the 4l80 difficult.

My girlfriend said she wants a denial when we get married so I told her I would do exactly what you are doing and build her a diesel denial. Then she found out that new trucks come in duramax with denial trim and I am screwed....

It does have the auto tcase but that is one of the least of my worries. If i get the donor vehicle, I could try and mate the 6.5L to the 4l60e and rebuild that trans or do the full drivetrain swap and figure out what to do with adding a tcase to the 4l80e.

Not to bring your down, but I think you're in for a disappointing, underpowered nightmare.

Basically, gut everything electrical from the Denali except things like PW, PL, etc and drop in a complete 6.5 drivetrain and electrics.

You're going to run into issues with underhood wiring, BCM stuff, integrating the hydroboost brakes, speed signals for the PCM, APP signals, etc.....the list is bloody near endless and it's also going to nickle and dime you to death.

That 4L60E won't hold up very well behind the 6.5. It will take it, just not as long as you will want it too. Heck, small blocks regularly toast those transmissions.....

Not to mention, it's always a PITA to be the first. But you will be the first.....if that's important.

Not to drop a wet blanket on you, but if I was going to all that trouble I'd be swapping in a Duramax drivetrain (or...*gasp*...a Cummins) and enjoying the extra power and potential.

Or, I'd go find a decent 6.5 'Burb or Tahoe and swap the Denali specific stuff over.

Your dime, your call.

Good luck (sincerely).

Well it's comments like that are the reason I posed the question. I am not looking to make a power monster, just good dd truck that gets good milage. I really dislike gasoline due to burning the hell out of my self a year ago. Filling up used to just piss me off, now the smell makes me dry heave. I love the truck and really hoped to find an "easy" swap but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Time to put on my big girl panties and get over the stench of gasoline.

I really wanted it to be a plug and play swap.

hey guys, I have an idea... Is there a worse way to start a thread on a forum? I doubt it. Anyway, instead of building an engine of questionable origins and dealing with the cluster F of wiring; is it possible to buy either a van or truck 01+ 6.5 based on this platform and just swap all of the wiring, engine, trans, everything? I thought I read that there were K3500s (flatbed style) built up to 02 and I have no clue what blocks were used in the G3500 trucks.

Anyone with any ideas or am I truly wasting my time?

thanks
micky

You refer to this body style?
1993truck 007.jpg1993truck 005.jpg

As others have suggested it will be easier and cheaper to go with a mechanical engine. Trans should be 4L80E over the 60E. A 6.5 will just bolt in and you can run an Optishift to controll the trans (available on my web site).
If you go Cummins there is alot of aftermarket support for the swap. I just did a Isuzu 4BD2T in my Suburban and like it alot (except it vibrates more).
Money and time you can do anything. Whats your latest thinking?

Well it's comments like that are the reason I posed the question. I am not looking to make a power monster, just good dd truck that gets good milage. I really dislike gasoline due to burning the hell out of my self a year ago. Filling up used to just piss me off, now the smell makes me dry heave. I love the truck and really hoped to find an "easy" swap but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Time to put on my big girl panties and get over the stench of gasoline.

I really wanted it to be a plug and play swap.

Oh, you can do it.

Not plug and play by any means.

It's a 4l60E from what I can find listed for a 2000 which is this body style:

1876558.2000.GMC.Denali.jpg

4 door Yukon in a party dress and lipstick.

Mechanical 6.5 would be easier in some respects.

But your 4l60E is gonna freak out behind it. You need lots of inputs to the PCM that won't be there and you'll have to figure out a way to jack @$$ them in there. Even then, there's no way of knowing if your PCM won't just kick the whole mess into limp mode.....

Things are gonna get even weirder when you get into the AWD system.

Then there's the whole hydroboost brake system since the diesel won't make any vacuum to run your vacuum booster. I suppose you could use the vacuum pump and a reservoir to get by, but I don't think I'd trust my brakes to that.....

I'd stick with replacing the gas engine if you really like the truck because you're going to curse the life out of it if you go with a diesel swap and IF you ever get it running again.

I like a challenge and a good running diesel as much as anyone else, but if it were me I wouldn't even attempt that with your truck.

Honestly, I'd sell it and get a newer one already with the diesel option.

I know, I know......not made of money and all that stuff......Denali's aren't cheap......

Need more details on your yukon to tell you how to go about this one. Is it a new or old body style 99 as there was both available in 99. 2 or 4 door? 2 or 4 wheel drive? What engine does it currently have? If it is a 99 old body style 4 door 4X4, this will be alot tougher than you might think. The 4 door TAHOES from 95-99 used a unique front torsion bar cross meber and torion bars that were shorter than the pick-ups and 2 door TAHOES which is why GM never offerred them with a 6.5. The torsion bar crossmember will need to be modified to fit a 4L80E trans in it will be your first big hurdle to overcome. As for wiring, it won't be too bad if you get a complete donor, but to tell you what kind of donor to look for we need to know EXACTLY what you have now.

Need more details on your yukon to tell you how to go about this one. Is it a new or old body style 99 as there was both available in 99. 2 or 4 door? 2 or 4 wheel drive? What engine does it currently have? If it is a 99 old body style 4 door 4X4, this will be alot tougher than you might think. The 4 door TAHOES from 95-99 used a unique front torsion bar cross meber and torion bars that were shorter than the pick-ups and 2 door TAHOES which is why GM never offerred them with a 6.5. The torsion bar crossmember will need to be modified to fit a 4L80E trans in it will be your first big hurdle to overcome. As for wiring, it won't be too bad if you get a complete donor, but to tell you what kind of donor to look for we need to know EXACTLY what you have now.

My truck is a 2000 Denali which is the older body style...My 350 has a slightly knocking lifter ...

... auto tcase but that is one of the least of my worries. If i get the donor vehicle, I could try and mate the 6.5L to the 4l60e and rebuild that trans or do the full drivetrain swap and figure out what to do with adding a tcase to the 4l80e.

Doesn't say 2 or 4 door.

;)

Doesn't say 2 or 4 door.

;)

It would help to have all the info in one post. From what I could peace togetehr this isn't going to be a super easy swap though with the front torsion crossmember mods that will be required. Although I believe most any 98+ truck would work quite well for the swap as far as compatible with the wiring goes.

I don't think they ever made a Denali 2 door. Mine is identical to the silver one pictured a few posts before this. There will likely be a suspension swap down the road with this truck so the torsion bar mount will be getting moved if I pull off the diesel swap. I really want to swap in the 4l80 trans with it. It just doesn't make sense to use a 4l60 with 177k on it.

Edit - would swapping brake boosters be a challenge? Would it improve my braking going to the 3500hd booster?

Modifying the torsion bar crossmember isn't a simple process as teh fuel tank is in the way of moving it back any. There is a thread here somewhere on how a member here swapped in a 4L80E into his 4 door tahoe.

My idea was a solid axle swap and just getting rid of the thing. I have the axles in my shop right now but before I go through that I need to figure out what I am doing with the engine.

Back