• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Convert a '99 6.5 from 4L80e to NV4500

juddspaintballs

my balls are painted!
Reaction score
I've read plenty of threads where people are doing these conversions in older trucks (diesels and gassers alike). I've learned that I need a NV4500 with a solid mass flywheel. The flywheel and clutch should be brand new (as well as a few other parts associated with them).

The biggest hurdle I'm seeing is making it compatible with the computer. I know my ECM will need flashed to do this conversion. Where can I get it flashed for a manual transmission if I actually do this conversion? And, will my stock ECM work fine for a while (just with a light on) or do I have to get the ECM flashed before I can even drive it around?

I'll be doing this swap with my '95. I opted to buy a like donor truck - it's the same chassis, wheel base, year, etc. but has a manual, instead of my automatic. After looking at the options for quite some time, this was my best conclusion to create the least amound of headache.

From what I have been told you can drive the truck but many codes will pop. I have all of the parts and am hoping to start the swap into my 99 tahoe 2 door soon.

Let us know how it goes. I just got my 4L80 rebuilt because I didn't have the time to do the swap right now, especially without a garage. I do want to do the conversion in the future on another Suburban but with a 6BT Cummins in front of it :)

Back