• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Considering picking up a 04 truck

red

Being a lake bum in Texas
Reaction score
Been thinking about getting a truck lately to help out my parents who live about 8 hours away. Found a 2004 chevy 2500 reg cab long bed, guy is asking 8k. Duramax/Allison combo with 155k miles, looks to be in pretty good shape.

Curious what to look out for when (if) I go take a look at it. Besides the injectors being known for a limited life were there any other big issues? Truck won't be used for heavy towing, mostly a 24' pontoon boat.

http://images.craigslist.org/00Q0Q_7ihSAenP9HD_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00F0F_hjFcd07HNo7_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00202_1FNv8i42TsI_600x450.jpg

If it's an 04.5 it's an LLY and has external injectors so you won't have such a high failure rate. Does look pretty clean and if it was well taken care of 155k isn't alot of miles.
I don't remember the vin code for LLY vs LB7 off the top of my head. I imagine it's here somewhere. If the hour meter is working that would tell you alot about how it's lived its life.

Looks like a 2WD work truck, if so then all you really have to watch for is the injectors(which is not if they will go, but when they will go). On 4X4's you have to watch for pump rub in the transfer case. Only other common issue on 03-05 trucks is the stepper motors for the gauge cluster fail, but is not the end of the world to fix.

If it's an 04.5 it's an LLY and has external injectors so you won't have such a high failure rate. Does look pretty clean and if it was well taken care of 155k isn't alot of miles.
I don't remember the vin code for LLY vs LB7 off the top of my head. I imagine it's here somewhere. If the hour meter is working that would tell you alot about how it's lived its life.
8th VIN digit is a 1 for LB7, and 2 for LLY.

Hour meters do randomly reset with low voltage like jump starting or starting with one failed battery. So keep it in mind if you have a sudden low hour reading. Lots of clusters were replaced and IDK if the hours were set along with the ODO.

Hour meters do randomly reset with low voltage like jump starting or starting with one failed battery. So keep it in mind if you have a sudden low hour reading. Lots of clusters were replaced and IDK if the hours were set along with the ODO.

Yeah with an unknown truck you have to be wary about it. But if it's in the 35+ ave mph range it's probably correct and that's a good sign it is more highway than town.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Back