• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Considering a flatbed for CC/SB

treegump

Romans 3:22-24
Reaction score
So, I've been ramping up to build a headache rack and figuring out storage space for my 2005 2500hd CC/SB and it dawned on me that I'm an idiot, haha. A flatbed typically has a built in headache rack, could have optional underbed storage, won't have to worry about a rear bumper, and I haven't heard too many bad things about them.

I talked with a friend of mine that has a F250 long bed, and he's considered/considering putting duals on his truck and then a flatbed, but it doesn't look like I can do that same thing without adding spacers and new wheels, and I don't feel comfortable about adding spacers to a truck that I'll be hauling and pulling with.

Anyhow, considering on possibly building the flatbed with a wood deck. Wanted to know opinions. I would also consider a built bed if they weren't so expensive, but I can't find if it'd be a bad deal to go with a steel vs aluminum. Aluminum is a bit more expensive, which is understandable considering the material and fabrication, but with the power of the duramax and it being a 2500hd, I don't know if I want anything lighter than a stock bed or even comparable to the weight. I also like the thought of being able to modify the steel flatbed as I see a need for it, since it's easier to weld to.

So...I guess the question is, would a steel deck be a better option for a short bed 2500hd? Or, if I built it, and plan for a wood deck, does anyone have anything as far as building materials or building plans?

Depends on what you want to do with the truck. I prefer steel with a steel deck but I always have heavy parts and tools on the bed. Short beds have nearly no room in front of the axle for a tool box and behind the axle isn't much better.

I have a friend with a 07 lbz short bed with an aluminum bed and it seems to do ok for power and traction.

Depends on what you want to do with the truck.

It's my DD and my work truck. I may have a beater truck when I get home, but don't see any point if I can fashion this truck to do everything I want it to. I want to build sides for it for when I do landscaping, demolition, or get firewood. I had a long bed with a tool box, so only ever had 6' of bed space anyhow. (minus when I had stuff that I could slide under the toolbox.)

Also, I don't know what I'm doing when I get home from North Dakota. Not sure if I'm going to go into business for myself, or try to be a company man again, but regardless, I keep active as far as working, and will use the truck whenever I can. I'd considered getting rid of this truck and looking for a supercab long bed, but now that I've owned a crewcab, I don't want to get rid of it, haha. As far as storage goes, with a flatbed, I could always go with removable side toolboxes and stack on top of those said toolboxes (within reason).

Hope that answers your question...

I'd go to it a steel deck atleast, aluminum sides and frame might be okay.

There are some beds here local built by Pronghorn that have tool boxes above the axles and down the sides, might be worth getting ideas from.

I looked for 4 months for a long bed and still ended up with a short box.

So, the outside perameters of the truck bed is 77" wide by 7' long. The rear tire sits ~2" below the top of the frame rail, and the bump stops are ~4" above the axle. The lateral support under the OEM bed is 1-1/4" tall, which is also how tall my b&w gooseneck hitch bracket is.

I was originally thinking of going with 1-1/4" tall lateral support, and 2x? treated lumber on top for the flooring. And use 3" angle or 3" channel for the outside perimeter. I considered making the bed 7' wide (room for marker lights) x 7'4" long (the 4" would accommodate the headache rack).

After doing some more searching, I'm getting mixed thoughts on how to secure it to the existing frame rails. U-bolts vs normal bolts. (I was going to use normal bolts, since that's what's OEM). Steel vs 4x4 wood for frame rail extensions. (May consider 4x4 wood, unless steel channel is advised.) Fenders vs no fenders. (Figured I'd go with trailer fenders) I figured that if I can build the frame structure and get some lights on it, than I have at least the platform to build a headache rack and underbed storage, if I can...

Found these two sites with pictures that sort of help:
http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/76758-Building-a-flatbed/page2?

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/bed/flatbed_build/index.html

I'm kind of liking the thought process of building the bed off the truck, and than do a bed swap when I have it finished. I was originally thinking of using 1/2" lateral support and welding them to the inside of the 3" border, so that way I'd have 1-1/2" left for the boards. But, after looking at the OEM bed, I'm thinking I should maybe stick with what they have?

What are you getting quoted for bed prices? if you want a bare bones bed that you can customize with your own boxes, etc. I was quoted ballpark of a grand a couple years ago for an 8 footer for my 2500 longbed GM trucks. The manufacturer was Circle D out of Kansas. we have one of their older beds and while it isnt perfect, I like it the most out of all I have seen.

also, spec it with the cutout, but not the gooseneck, keep the turnover ball but dont turn it over. IMO much stronger than a built into the flatbed ball. same deal with the rear hitch, unless you want the rear hitch for rear end protection for getting rear ended.

You think it looks alright with a 7' wide bed, even though the stock bed only comes out at 77", and the wheel well is already past the tire. I'm wondering that if I call/order a bed, if I should see if they can make a bed that can be closer to 77" wide... 7' long ends about where the existing bed ends, length wise.

I'll measure our short/flat bed feed truck 2mro and let you know what they made it. It is a professional built bed by a pretty popular local company (it has the cheap version)

I'll measure our short/flat bed feed truck 2mro and let you know what they made it. It is a professional built bed by a pretty popular local company (it has the cheap version)

Thanks! And could you take a few pictures as well, especially from the cab back to see how much it sticks out past the cab and rear tires?

Better late than never. My fiancee had my lap top.

2012-12-20_14-35-48_529-1.jpg

2012-12-20_14-36-10_153-1.jpg

2012-12-20_14-36-32_158-1.jpg

Thanks! What brand is yours? Did you say? I might be looking at circle D flatbeds if I do buy one. There's a local dealer near Minot.

Ours are built by Bramco down here. The main shop is in the town we do most of our business.

Good luck with your build, if you have any more questions I can try to get measurements from our trucks.

Thanks again! The build or purchase may go on the back burner for a short bit... I'm leaning on purchasing a heavy duty front bumper replacement just to get it out of the way, and figuring that protecting the front of the truck (as well as clearing 33's) may be a little more important than figuring out a bed that I won't have time or need to use till I go back home sometime in March 2013...

Back