• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

computer woes

so my line conditioner arrived today. I started out by checking it out and when I first plugged it in the green normal lite came on and then the high lite kicked in so I got my DVM out and checked my power out and it was reading pretty darn close to 122volts then my well pump kicked in and the lite went back to normal and when I checked it again it had dropped to 120volts. Next I started checking the output on the conditioner and it seems to be trying to hold voltage to 110volts. the data plaque says output voltage is supposed to be 120volt. I plugged a couple of devices into it along with my dvm and am monitoring it now. You think 110volt is OK?

interestingly enough I heard a click and the lite went to normal and the output voltage went up to 121volts. hmmmmm....

Curious... are you running the line conditioner off utility or generator power?

For most appliances (with electric motors) and devices with power supplies (TVs, PCs, printers, etc.) rated at 120v, it should not be a problem running them on 110v. It's when the utility company repeatedly drops voltage below 105v that motors could, eventually, burn out. The iron core's magnetic flux capacity to be saturated is what helps ride out these sags.

utility. been watching it for awhile now and when the lite says normal it puts out 120v when it says high it puts out 110v. and it only takes about 2volt diff to change it

x2 on your hmmmmmm... usually, the "high" lamp comes on when input voltage to the line conditioner is above the nominal voltage of 120v at which time the unit is supposed to regulate the voltage down to 120v... but down to 110v? What loads do you have when its output drops to 110v? That is VERRRY interesting (won't hurt the load devices, though). 2 volt threshold is pretty sensitive (pretty good) and, considering there are no adjustments to the settings, indicative of the manufacturer's confidence in their product.

If you are using hot-common probes with your DVM (as opposed to the inductive/clamp-on type), check that the tips are screwed in firmly... I was working on our breaker panel just last night, after installing a 240V 30A circuit in the garage, and kept getting fluctuating readings... couldn't understand it and just happened to be looking at both probe tips as I came out of a space-out episode... noticed one was slightly more extended than the other... serves me right for working at 2 a.m. A little bulb grease should also help (I use that stuff on everything from cordless phone battery connectors, cell phone battery contacts, PC RAM to mobo connectors, headlamp sockets, rubber door gaskets (yup!)etc.)

so in frustration I took the cover off my line conditioner and discovered that on the circut board there is an adjustment. So with my DVM in hand I adjusted it to match my incoming power. So far so good and I'll keep monitoring it until I'm satisfied it won't hurt my PC

I never did use then line conditioner I bought. The voltage drop is 10v when it activates and it doesn't seem to stay in adjustment. I did lose another harddrive and I'm in the process of putting a new circut board in it. Waiting on tiny torx screwdrivers I ordered to change it.

Back