• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Computer all screwed up

Sparky8370

Do chickens have large talons
Reaction score
I was sitting here on my couch on DTR when it wouldn't do anything. I couldn't scroll down to finish reading. I kept hitting ctrl+alt+delete and it still wouldn't do anything. Every now and then it would go down a little. My curser wouldn't even move. I got fed up and just held the power button down and tried to re-power it. The LEDS would come on like it was starting and then go back out. Once it almost started, it got to the first screen where it says something about bios and the white staus bar went almost all the way, then it froze again. I had to hold the power button again. It would only lite the LEDS, then they would go out. Battery had power, plus it was plugged in. I checked it and it wasn't hot, this one is way hotter. Mine was barely warm. It is usually a lot warmer actually. I figured what the hell and threw it in the freezer. I took it back out and put the battery back in and it started up just fine. I came back on DTR and checked out a few threads and started to type this one up. Then it happened again. I put it back in the freezer again and it did work somewhat, for about 30 seconds. Then I held the power button down and threw it in the freezer again. What the hell?

I think the hard drive took a shit. It's a dell inspiron 8600 with either an 80 or 120G hard drive running windows xp. It has slowed down quite a few times, and I could hear the hard drive turning sometimes. And when I could hear it, it kind of sounded scatchy like when you press too hard on the side of a cd player. I got it to move by bumping it a few times too. Then after I took it out of the freezer last night and let it sit for a little while (I didn't want condensation) I started it up and decided to run a virus scan just in case. It only scanned 2,167 files and froze up again. I left it and checked it in the morning and it was still the same. I bumped it and the curser was able to move again and it scanned about 100 more files then froze up again. So I left it and when I got home it said something like an unrecognized device has been installed in the d bay. It's the only time I have ever seen that. It looked sort of like the blue screen, but it was black.

hard drives are mechanical parts, they have a life which is usually decided by hours in relation to temperature. the freezer trick sometimes work before a head crash to get the last data off, so i was assuming that, but did not know how old your drive was..... or your system.

It's probably about 4 or 5 years old. I have my wife's old one around here somewhere too, which is identical to mine. Her screen got broke, and I was having problems with mine at the time so I put my screen on hers. Then she fell asleep in the bathtub while it was filling and it came through the ceiling and killed her laptop. So I put the screen back on mine and it worked fine. I am wondering if the hard drive would still work.

after 2 years MAXIMUM i change all hard drives (even on RAID systems, which make the swap pretty easy). i used to do data reconstruction on the side in germany and it is pitiful how many people kept their entire life (and business data) on a 5 year old hard drive.

180 no no s.

There is also a lot of infant mortality in hard drives so i keep the old ones around for a while until i wipe them a la gutmann and then get rid of them.

Ok now I am looking on ebay. Looks like I can find some pretty good deals on toughbooks that have the hard drives removed. But I have never changed a hard drive. Is the hard drive caddy for these only needed if you use an aftermarket hard drive?

Can I take my hard drive and throw it in another computer to take the info off of it? I'm not sure if the hard drive in my wife's old laptop was good or not, but when I put it in mine it does the exact same thing.

Back