• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

compression tester

iamdave0887

Here Comes Chaos.....
Reaction score
seems that a compression tester that goes to 400 psi is hard to find. i've tried the local autozone, advance auto parts, napa, and a few other places. i get the same answer everywhere "they only go to 300 psi". anyone have a general idea where i may be able to find a comp tester since i'm changing the glows and injectors i want to do a compression test to make sure everythings even.

seems that a compression tester that goes to 400 psi is hard to find. i've tried the local autozone, advance auto parts, napa, and a few other places. i get the same answer everywhere "they only go to 300 psi". anyone have a general idea where i may be able to find a comp tester since i'm changing the glows and injectors i want to do a compression test to make sure everythings even.
I got mine from Bumper to bumper $125.- With adaptors to fit most automotive diesels

I got mine from napa $80, Look on their web sight, They should have it. Leo

I would look for tester that goes to 500psi min., I was seeing 460psi figures when I took my compression. I bought a K+D set for around 80$.

found one. A&G auto parts had one that was 0 to 1000 psi for $79. the adapter i got said it was for the GM 6.2 diesel and goes where the glow plug would go.

your local Snap ON dealer. You can count on it being quality and accurate. I have bought cheap ones in the past only to get in accurate reading or have it break all together. I realize Snap On is expensive but if your gonna be doing it professionally or semi professionally go with Snap ON, Mac or Matco. Snap On being my personal choice.

your local Snap ON dealer. You can count on it being quality and accurate. I have bought cheap ones in the past only to get in accurate reading or have it break all together. I realize Snap On is expensive but if your gonna be doing it professionally or semi professionally go with Snap ON, Mac or Matco. Snap On being my personal choice.

not every one has Snap On money. Snap On tools have a tendency to get lost????:cuss:

not every one has Snap On money. Snap On tools have a tendency to get lost????:cuss:
Myself included but certain types of tools I prefer to have quality.
Ie:
You spend 8k putting a new motor together. Which torque wrench do you trust,
30$ one from harbor freight or 200$ one from Snap On ?
Would I buy everything Snap On ? Well, yeah I'd love to but certain tools can't justify it. Needed a flex head 3/8 ratchet.
Snap On 110$
Sears craftsman club 19$
Sears won.
Is the Snap On a bettert ratchet ? Yeah. Is it worth90$ more to me ? No.
But where accuracy counts, IMO so does quality. I don't think anyone here can argue the quality of Snap On compared to other stuff.

Myself included but certain types of tools I prefer to have quality.
Ie:
You spend 8k putting a new motor together. Which torque wrench do you trust,
30$ one from harbor freight or 200$ one from Snap On ?
Would I buy everything Snap On ? Well, yeah I'd love to but certain tools can't justify it. Needed a flex head 3/8 ratchet.
Snap On 110$
Sears craftsman club 19$
Sears won.
Is the Snap On a bettert ratchet ? Yeah. Is it worth90$ more to me ? No.
But where accuracy counts, IMO so does quality. I don't think anyone here can argue the quality of Snap On compared to other stuff.
I have been pulling wrenches for 40 odd years without using Snap On tools,broke a few offcourse and lost some too.Torque wrences might vary couple of LBS between brands,but using the same one to torque a head or so is perfectly OK it does not matter a hoot if the actual torque value is 95 lbs or 103 if specs say 95 to 105.
if measuring compression you think it is important wether it reads 400lbs or 395,if standard specs say between 380 and 400.
I dont arque the quality of snap on,but i sure arque the price.

got the injectors from heath today. i can say that my money will be going to them again. it had hold for "my name here" on the box and had everything in the box including gaskets for the turbo. did anyone else get a snap-on 30MM injector socket with their injectors from heath? i'm just curious.

Back