• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

COLD start...:)

mr_goodwrench_06

Reaction score
Well, it's -20*C right now and I have no block heater cord as of yet so I was a little concerned that the Burb wasn't gonna start. :eek: I just went out and after one failed attempt to stay running, it caught and is chugging merrily away right now. ):h Regardless, I'm buying a cord today when I go to town.

Just wanted to spread my 6.5 love to ya all. I've been through a bunch to get this thing going and it's nice to be a little bit rewarded.:D

Bill

That initial 30 seconds, or so, is awful, isn't it?:rolleyes5:

You're totally right, Dennis.

I hate this sound, so I don't start the truck if I forgot to plug in. I don't need it everyday and I've got another car (daily driver), so it isn't so important, if I forgot it.

Cu,
Sven

Started up today, didn't plug in -8 F. Scary sounding but old girl DID start!

Hell mine's Scary sounding at 85F. ):h

Just needs a little lovin'. OK a LOT of lovin'. It's got two dead cylinders, one on each bank and goes clankity clank sqweak sqweak and blows spectacular white clouds out the pipe- when she finally lights.

Just to make you guys feel better, my 07 LBZ sounded awful starting at -20 as well. It did start fine without being plugged in but it sounded sick until the high idle kicked on. Nothing like the sound of 8 marbles rattling around a coffee can.

Diesels are just not cold blooded animals.

Went out and bought an outdoor timer yesturday. SO now i have my block heater coming on at 5am, so i dont have to wake up and plug it in, or leave it plugged in all night..

Broke out my block heater today. Was still in the original stock location strapped to the frame. I dont think it had ever been used, but the truck still started fine in up to -20 just a little smoky. AHhh what a good feeling of opening the cover off that fresh new plug. Seems to work Ok too - truck started smooth as a whistle in -5c ;)

So do these trucks come with block heaters??? If so, where and how the heck do I access it??

I live in WA and right now we are having 10-15F degree mornings and it sounds like a nasty beast for about 15-20 seconds.

Like Chris said above, it's usually bundled up and tie-wrapped to the frame. Look along the frame in the engine bay, port side, for the wire.

Went out and bought an outdoor timer yesturday. SO now i have my block heater coming on at 5am, so i dont have to wake up and plug it in, or leave it plugged in all night..

Thats how I do mine. My 1009 (blazer) is plugged in first on the timer, then when I leave for work about 7:30am, I will move it to the Wife's Burb. It then turns off by 10am as if she hasnt left by then, she most likely wont. Plus, even if she leaves at say 1 or 2.. its still semi warm.

So far ive started mine in about 18 degree coldest weather, it clatters for 10 seconds or so..

I have started the 1009 6.2 at 5f. One cycle of the glow plugs (stock military controller even!) held the throttle to the floor like the instructions say, and fire away. Needless to say, I had NO clue it was to be that cold that night!!

I've started it up on a near zero F day after sitting a month without plugging it in and it started right up. We had an "emergency" of sorts that day all of a sudden and didn't have the luxury of plugging it in beforehand. I was prouder than a peacock how well it fired up!

Back