• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cold stall...and stall...and stall

indybeck

Reaction score
I need some help, fellas. My truck has been doing this intermittently, for about 2 months now. This morning was the worst, by far. I'll start it to let it warm up about 10 mins. before I go to work. This morning it stalled about 5 mins. into the warm up. Usually go and shut the key off, turn it back on, and starts right up. May do this one or two more times, but then it goes. This morning I had trouble getting it to start multiple times and it did not. Any suggestions? When it is warm, no issues at all. Thanks guys.

Lift pump and fuel heater ok? Not sure your temps and if fuel gelling is an issue. Has the water drain been opened and filter checked or changed?

8 psi at T. Just put in a Walbro pump. If I can get it to do it again, I have the guage hooked up to see if fuel pressure drops. I spent 3 hours on it last night to find nothing wrong. I have not tried a PMD, because it was only a cold start issue. It has been 50 degrees in the morning, and 75 in the daytime. Thanks for the replies.

That is the thing, PMD gives up when the temp start fluctuating when it starts to get hot.

Yes, when it gives up, it just do it whether it is hot or cold.

Also check all your electricals???

Need some more info about the stalls and no-start

What are the cab conditions when it stalls? Everything working, dash lights, is the SES light on when it stalls, ect....

When it wont start does it run a normal glow cycle, and is the SES light on with the ignition? Ignition swith or grounds on the head could be flaky.

If you dont have any WTS or SES light not working issues, then I would suspect the PMD or ESO

A stall is more difficult to diagnose than a no-start. There is no-start info that will apply at the end of the attached file

Attachments

• Mnx&Mods info.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
Regular glow cycle. SES light comes on when key is turned on, but goes out as soon as the pickup is started. All headlights and dome lights work properly even after shutdown. Last night, I switched out the FSS with one off of an old IP. No trouble this morning, but was relatively warm, about 60*.

The temperature differences of 40-60 degrees shouldnt really matter when it comes to stalling. Once the thing starts up the only thing temp wise that may kill you is gelled fuel when below freezing. Unless youre running like B100 or veggie oil or something that clouds or solidifies at higher temps.

Thats why I would suspect the PMD or that Engine Shut-Off (ESO) solenoid, which I am guessing is what you called the FSS for Fuel Shutoff Solenoid

The ESO solenoid is not too common of failure, but I myself have had two intermittent ones that caused stalling and then no-start before I gutted it or replaced.

Yes, Buddy, I was referring to the Engine shutoff Solenoid. The only reason I mention the temp is because the problem seems to be more pronounced the cooler it gets. The morning I had trouble was 50*, and any other morning has been cooler. I have a spare PMD. If I have trouble again, that will be my next step. I did do all grounds about 6 months ago, and used dielectric grease. Thanks again for the info, I am no mechanic, but I work on my own.

Back