• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cognito Leveling Kit (UCA's)

RYDNHI4X4

Halt Halt Or I'll Release My Dog
Reaction score
I have got the Cognito Leveling Kit along with the matching HD Tie-Rods. I am curious as to why every other month it seems like I am greasing up the greaserts. It's like the UCA's and Tie-rods are burning up grease. It does this anytime of the year also.

Does anyone have any ideas to why this may be happening?

Steve...I was thinking about getting them...so I sure would like to know if this is common...I'm a stickler for fluid changes...but in between changes I'm not big on greasing...so if this is an issue I'd be interested...

I hope its not an issue. I have to check mine tomorrow in the light to be sure.

Steve, your stock UCA's don't have any grease fittings. What is the trigger for you to hit the new UCA's with the grease gun (squeaking)? As far as the tie rods I'm listening cause I have no clue. Maybe Nick will chime in.

Hell, I give my TREs, ball joints, pitman/idler....f-it...I give ALL the suspension parts a couple pumps about every 5k miles. I've always found it normal. Steve are you having to do it more often?

Steve, your stock UCA's don't have any grease fittings. What is the trigger for you to hit the new UCA's with the grease gun (squeaking)? As far as the tie rods I'm listening cause I have no clue. Maybe Nick will chime in.

I have the Cognito UCA's / leveling kit. I have PM'ed this link to Nick so he should chime in tomorrow sometime.

Hell, I give my TREs, ball joints, pitman/idler....f-it...I give ALL the suspension parts a couple pumps about every 5k miles. I've always found it normal. Steve are you having to do it more often?

Usually when I get around to giving everything a few pumps which is normally every other month. It turns into being more then just a few pumps. More like 10-20 pumps. Maybe it's then grease gun I use or even the grease, but I use Amsoil Synthetic Heavy-Duty Grease NLGI #2. http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=GHDCR-EA
and a normal grease gun from Harbor Freight.

Attachments

• DSC01752.jpg
    DSC01752.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
10-20, good christ, that's a lot. I've used a pistol grip before, and it put out less than the long lever-style. Both I'm thinking of are Lincoln brand grease guns. The ONLY thing I've ever put 20 squirts of grease into were brand new rebuilt somethings, or the wobble box on a swather. I can't think of the brand but I use an incredibly high quality white lithium grease that my dad has. I think it compares to this from Amsoil.

I will be interested to hear Nick's reply, that seems excessive to me. What kind of driving do you do, mostly highway?

I have the Cognito UCA's / leveling kit. I have PM'ed this link to Nick so he should chime in tomorrow sometime.

I was aware that you had them. I only have to pump the grease gun 3 to 4 times every 10K to get grease shooting out by the nut and bolt. I wonder where all your grease is going. I will be watching for Nick's response.

Steve, you are using the right grease, it sounds like you might have a bad grease gun. 10-20 pumps is a LOT of grease, UCAs and Tie Rod ends just aren't that big. I suspect your grease gun may not be putting out a full "pump". Also, you would be changing grease tubes out like crazy, try a different gun.

Steve, you are using the right grease, it sounds like you might have a bad grease gun. 10-20 pumps is a LOT of grease, UCAs and Tie Rod ends just aren't that big. I suspect your grease gun may not be putting out a full "pump". Also, you would be changing grease tubes out like crazy, try a different gun.

X2.

Steve,
I know you are pumping what seems like a lot of grease due to # of pumps, but are you going through all that much grease? (# of tubes)?

I just started on my second tube. The first tube lasted about a year and thats just greasing up my truck, maybe Nick's a few times.

I will try and get a new grease gun this weekend.

I just started on my second tube. The first tube lasted about a year and thats just greasing up my truck, maybe Nick's a few times.

I will try and get a new grease gun this weekend.

That sounds about right to me...

Steve..why do you start a thread right before I leave for a while...):h

So, yes the HD tie rods take a ton of grease. Now pending how much you started with at time of install might be why you are still needing grease. Now if the grease was breaking down then i would think you would see it dripping off the tie rod or any other point.

I will ask Jeff for maybe a better answer because I don't think I have the best answer and Jeff is more hands on the install of the product.

Steve..why do you start a thread right before I leave for a while...):h

So, yes the HD tie rods take a ton of grease. Now pending how much you started with at time of install might be why you are still needing grease. Now if the grease was breaking down then i would think you would see it dripping off the tie rod or any other point.

I will ask Jeff for maybe a better answer because I don't think I have the best answer and Jeff is more hands on the install of the product.

Nick, your not allowed to go on vacation when customers like myself have very important questions for you. ):h):h):h):h
Thanks, hope you enjoyed your Christmas and New Years. Tell Jeff I said whats up.

Back