• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cognito HD tie rods ever go bad???

Hunter

Reaction score
Anyone ever had any issues with these going out fast? I had them installed a couple years ago along with the lift and all the extra Cognito bells and whistles. Just bought a new set of larger tires after installing my fender flares and decided an alignment would be a good idea since my last set of tires wore out in a year.

I never even thought to check the front end myself, but the alignment guy pointed it out right way. My inners are both sloppy as hell. He's a lifetime alignment guy and recommended buying some MOOG's (which I have on the way).

Any thoughts? This happen before? I know anything mechanical can always fail, but the worst abuse this truck sees is bouncing slowly around the mountain roads (which are rough) or the occassional pulling of someone out of the mud.

Last edited:
I have a set myself and have heard of them wearing out in as little as 10K. Granted some of those failures are caused by abuse and lack of maintenance.

How many miles do yours have on them?

Are the Moog parts direct replacement for the Cognito parts?

Mine must be closer to 30K on them. Don't know if I "abuse" them or not. I do maintain them, though. The truck stays on the highway or easy dirt roads primarily. When I do "off road" it's usually while out hunting or pulling friends out of mud or something. I'm usually not out "giving it hell" and playing for fun (though it does happen after enough Budweisers tee hee hee).

The Cognito parts should be to factory lengths etc. since you can put them on a stock truck, so the dimensions steering-wise should all be factory. I know the Cognito lift kit was top of my list for that very reason, it doesn't change driveline angles or steering dimensions. The MOOG's oughta slide right in.

the moogs will be a direct replacement...you should consider tie rod sleeves while you are changing them...cheap insurance IMO...

I have at least 30k miles on my cognitos...mostly towing...and probably 75 4x4 boosted launch 1/4 mi. passes at high h.p. levels...

but I also have the cognito pitman idler arm brace kit which may be helping them to last longer...

Yeah, I also have the pitman and idler stuff from Cognito. That's what I meant by all the bells and whistles. Just don't get it. Maybe I'm rougher than I think I am out there. No racing though.

I read a little about all this tie rod sleeve stuff whilst searching this topic before I posted. Sounds like they're 50/50 "all the rage" vs "junk". Obviously, I assume they are meant to be put on during the install of my MOOG's and prior to alignment, yes? Meaning, don't they thread on?

Come to think of it, the roughest I am on the truck is always at really slow speeds. Yeah, I have to gun it to get through mud or jerk downed trees out of the way or something, but I don't know if I'm ever in danger of bending tie rods, like you fellers who race a lot. Are those sleeves even a good idea for me? My inners just went out and give me a lot of play. Toe is all over the place is all. Probably from whacking a big rock sideways or something. Maybe just the better engineered (not to say Cognito is crap...by any means...far from it) MOOG's will be what I need. Check out the link to why they say they're better (I know...salesmanship, but still....I have an engineering brain so I like to read this sort of stuff). http://www.moogproblemsolver.com/_pdf_en1/MOOG_PS_Bulletin_27025_ES3488_En.pdf

Any thoughts? Go for it or no?

Sleeves are always a good idea...especially if you use 4x4 a lot...all it takes is once for a tire to get great traction when spinning and that sudden torque to the tie rod could snap it and leave you stranded......IMO they are not just for drag racing...

I have not been on here much but on the Cognito tie rods we have had customers develope a small amount of slop in the inner joint at the center link, if you purchased this product from us we are happy to help you with a warranty claim, please email the contact info below and we can send you the info needed to submit a claim with Cognito.

Cognito Motorsports #TRK100045 -
2001-2010 GM 8Lug Tie Rod kit, Extra Heavy Duty OEM Style

Warranty & Returns - For Warranty and/or Returns,
Please email - [email protected]

All tie rods that are shipped are the new version not the old version.

Does anybody have experience with the HD tie rod replacements from LMC truck? http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/ce/full.aspx?Page=152

Their catalog write-up claims made in the USA. Any chance these are the re-designed Moog parts?

I don't know if I'd pay $259 and not know exactly what I'm getting ...(brand or who really makes them)

The tie rods in the link are Rare Parts, they look alittle different because they are the newer version of Rare parts because they too changed their inner design recently. Many companies are using Rare Parts as their own brand tie rods, Cognito Motorsports is not. If you compare you will see they are deferent inner and outer joints.

It has been a long road for the HD style upgrade tie rods as all of the makers have had issues in their designs, Fabtech's I do not believe have changed anything, Rare parts and Cognito are the only 2 that I know of that made a change to make them stronger to last longer. As I know those are the only 3 different HD style tie rod makers on the market. I am sorry to anyone that faces a issue with any of these but I can say from what I know and see with our volume we do have plenty of customers not having issues.

Nick, it says the Cognito parts are discontinued on your site. What's the replacement for them?

LINK >> http://www.norcaltruck.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=2_385&products_id=1219

01-10 NEW Alloy Series Heavy Duty Tie Rods Coming Soon
[TRK100046]
$0.00
pixel_trans.gif

Click to enlarge

CMS Alloy Series 2001-2010 GM 8-lug tie rod kit
The Heavy Duty sealed & grease-able tie rod market will be getting stronger!!!
Cognito Motorsports NEW Alloy Series Design for late 2011 release,
All steel alloy inner ball and socket joint has the most contact surface area available on the market, this means less stress on the wearable surfaces and the longest life on the market having twice the ultimate strength of factory inner socket joints! This new design is currently being tested on some of the toughest trucks we found that can put the product to the test, units are coming back into the facility to be checked and tested to insure quality is set high before the full release of the product.

More info and test results coming soon!!

Back