• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Codes 18, 35, and 54

Chevypoor

Reaction score
So the latest in the Little D saga (I swear somebody must have died in the thing!, cursed I tell you) on Monday I was driving in town and the ses light pops and it starts running terrible. No power, trans does not want to shift and when it does it shifts hard. No boost, no smoke though, rough idle just general bad running with no power. Cut the truck off at a light and it goes away. I am thinking I am ok. Later in the day the ses light comes on and this will not go off. Same low power. Barely could get to 65 on the interstate for the limp home. Get home and check the codes and got 18, 35, and 54. My heart sinks... ip. Check the grounds.. all good. Swap the PMD with a good spare.. no luck. Check for air... none. Guess the Standadyne pump with less than 5000 miles is dead... atleast it has a warranty! :hihi: What do you guys think... definitely the IP?

On another subject what is involved in going mechanical? How do you handle the glow plug wiring? How about the trans wiring? I have the oil pump drive speed sensor, the throttle cable, fuel pedal, TPS, etc. from the 93. I still have not solved the mystery rattle(it rattled with the old pump). Maybe I need to throw in the towel and go mechanical!

You guys are going to love this one. After I posted this, I was sitting on the porch enjoying a cold frosty adult beverage and thought I have not started this thing since since Monday lets fire Larry up and see what happens. Guess what, no SES LIGHT!!! Everybody's favorite electrical demons... I think I will have another frosty adult beverage!

So, having a frosty beverage repaired your truck? I'm leaving work to see if this works...though I frankly don't care if it fixes anything but me.

I think you have maybe had too many frosty adult beverages:D, The first post was about little D, the second was about Larry.:???:

PMD

The first time, it went into limp mode. Shutting off and restarting reset things (you can do that on the fly, if you're not in traffic)

It will happen more frequently until it starts stalling and not starting. Watch for big surges, especially when backing up.

So, having a frosty beverage repaired your truck? I'm leaving work to see if this works...though I frankly don't care if it fixes anything but me.

LOL. If only it was that easy... fixing the ruck!:D:hihi:

I think you have maybe had too many frosty adult beverages:D, The first post was about little D, the second was about Larry.:???:

Correct... I believe I had too many... or not enough:D! The whole thread/ both posts are about Gary. Sorry about the confusion.

PMD

The first time, it went into limp mode. Shutting off and restarting reset things (you can do that on the fly, if you're not in traffic)

It will happen more frequently until it starts stalling and not starting. Watch for big surges, especially when backing up.

I hope you are right/thanks for the heads up. I let is sit for about 15mins or so Monday when I got home and the swapped in a brand new PMD. It still threw those exact codes. It was only after letting it sit for three days that they went away. I wonder if it is related to the mystery rattle. I am also worried. It is a Pa truck with some rust... electrical gremlins love rust! Looks I am rolling in Garry for awhile while I get this sorted!;)

You have yo clear the codes with a paper clip. Then see if they come back.

Jim, can you clear them with the paper clip? I thought disconnecting the batteries was the only way without a scanner.

Jim, can you clear them with the paper clip? I thought disconnecting the batteries was the only way without a scanner.

Little D is a 1995... OBD-I

You can actually work on old stuff without a computer! :)

Ahhh . . . Gotta love the 'working-vehicle-roulette' game :D

This is why you need more than one 6.5!:thumbsup:

Found the fix to Little D, Larry, Gary, or which ever one has the gremlins:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/4439252685.html

It is confusing.... I tried naming them and heck I still get them mixed up.:D Larry is the suspected gremlin truck. I have plans for Larry anyway!;) Nice looking rig but I already have enough 6.5 rigs. If I drag another home I will be sleeping in it!!!:)

You have yo clear the codes with a paper clip. Then see if they come back.

Thanks. I will clear them this weekend with the Scan Tech software on the laptop and see what happens. Cross my fingers!

That does ring a bell. Thanks Jim.

Spring? There was ice on the water this morning.:nonod:

That does ring a bell. Thanks Jim.

Spring? There was ice on the water this morning.:nonod:

It was 32 here less than a week ago in central va. Spring is slow coming this year.

Update on Gary(got it right this time!). Disconnected the batteries this morning and left them disconnected all day. I also discovered the ground strap to the firewall was broken this morning. Got another one from Napa and replaced the ground strap from the firewall to the motor. Re connected the batteries and she started fine. Took a 20 mile round trip to get fuel and she ran great. No SES light. Fingers crossed that she is fixed.

Now, back to the other question, electronic to mechanical conversion. Is there a thread covering this in detail? How hard is it? I have all the parts and a fresh reman mechanical ip. I have an idea to bring Little D back to life. I would love to convert Little D to a NA mechanical ip 6.5.

Now, back to the other question, electronic to mechanical conversion. Is there a thread covering this in detail? How hard is it? I have all the parts and a fresh reman mechanical ip. I have an idea to bring Little D back to life. I would love to convert Little D to a NA mechanical ip 6.5.

Well, my friend, as they say, Search is your friend...

If y'all take a look in the 6.5 Technical Library, information like that (and the paperclip trick) has been assembled by all of the fine members in this-here place.

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...-Technical-Library&p=5117&viewfull=1#post5117

Look under 'DS4 - DB-2 conversion' , and you'll find member BobbieMartin's outstanding guide to losing your PMD.

If you decide to proceed with this, I'd like to suggest that your adventure would make a fine topic for a pictorial 'How-To' Project Thread. A picture is worth a thousand words, or so the saying goes...

Jim

Well, my friend, as they say, Search is your friend...

If y'all take a look in the 6.5 Technical Library, information like that (and the paperclip trick) has been assembled by all of the fine members in this-here place.

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...-Technical-Library&p=5117&viewfull=1#post5117

Look under 'DS4 - DB-2 conversion' , and you'll find member BobbieMartin's outstanding guide to losing your PMD.

If you decide to proceed with this, I'd like to suggest that your adventure would make a fine topic for a pictorial 'How-To' Project Thread. A picture is worth a thousand words, or so the saying goes...

Jim

Thanks, Jim. Read through the guide last night... still thinking about it. More work than I thought but certainly very doable and I have most of the parts.

I guess it must be the IP. Drove it 20 or so miles on Saturday no codes. Drove it 24 miles round trip to town on Sunday evening no codes. Started it and moved it several times around the yard on Sunday. Even let it sit an idle for like 15-20 mins while I move the trailer around back. NO CODES. Drove it 41 miles to the office this morning and NO CODES! Let it sit 30 minutes at the office and left to run errands and the damn @#$%^^&*(@ CODES are back!!!!

Back