• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Clutch

MILD BILL

Reaction score
Has anyone any suggestions on the clutch, I need to know what my opp. are. I have invested a ton into this truck and now I'm replaceing the hyd. clutch everytime I fart. I retired from GM, so I know their after engneering stinks, the truth will not offend me. My truck has been a great one so far, it has impressed with the fuel mil., power, and pull. Its the throw out bearing!! on the man. trans.
AND what is up with log in??
MILD BILL

Last edited:
South bend clutch has the best aftermarket setup for ZF6 issues, so i'll bet they do a good job on the 6.5L as well.

By replacing the hyd. clutch, do you mean the master or slave cyl.?

South bend clutch has the best aftermarket setup for ZF6 issues, so i'll bet they do a good job on the 6.5L as well.

By replacing the hyd. clutch, do you mean the master or slave cyl.?

Won't work!!!!!!!! I have two brand new ones, and I just had a 1100.00 GM put back in it.
MILD BILL

Last edited:
so the south bend clutches won't work? is this correct?

Also, what slave cyl. do you have? external or internal? and what are you having to replace all the time?

so the south bend clutches won't work? is this correct?

Also, what slave cyl. do you have? external or internal? and what are you having to replace all the time?

I am not sure what you are asking! The throw out bearing is internal. The clutch is internal, I have a 5 sp manuel trans. The intire clutch w/bearing and pressure plate.
I am having the work done since I am not able.
MILD BILL
I tried to explain this earlier but the site kept shuting me down, telling me that I wasn't logged in. My daughter said that I might be taking to long to write my message. I am still trying to figure this thing out, and I hope you excuse the rather rude shortness, its the best I can do for now.MILD BILL

i am asking about the little hydraulic ram (slave cylinder) that activates the clutch. 5 speeds from 95 and earlier have the external ram, and 96 and up 5spds have a hollow shafted one that goes over the shaft, and it is the internal ram. I am wondering which one you have.

To clarify my previous post, i know a ZF6 clutch will not work in a 6.5L, but if you go to their site, they offer a few 6.5L diesel products. Im just saying that if people are pleased with the South bend ZF6 unit, surely you would be happy with their 6.5L offerings.

From reading your posts, what i understand is that you are having issues with the throwout bearing constantly going out. is this correct?

answer

i am asking about the little hydraulic ram (slave cylinder) that activates the clutch. 5 speeds from 95 and earlier have the external ram, and 96 and up 5spds have a hollow shafted one that goes over the shaft, and it is the internal ram. I am wondering which one you have.

To clarify my previous post, i know a ZF6 clutch will not work in a 6.5L, but if you go to their site, they offer a few 6.5L diesel products. Im just saying that if people are pleased with the South bend ZF6 unit, surely you would be happy with their 6.5L offerings.

From reading your posts, what i understand is that you are having issues with the throwout bearing constantly going out. is this correct?

All my info is up there,I think. 6.2 block, the trans and bell housing are all rebuilt for heavyduty, the truck is 94 1 ton dually 6.5 with about 260 to 280 hp. The rear end I rebuilt with timkin bearings, and the engine was done by diesel depot in Sanderville Ga.
Yes the bearing has cost me two clutches.
I now have the GM version back in it.
MY phone 1-931-987-0859
[email protected]

Last edited:
Still have not explained the failure, Bill, only your reaction to the failure - what is failing in each of several throwout bearing assemblies, or what is the symptom that indicates failure?

answer

Still have not explained the failure, Bill, only your reaction to the failure - what is failing in each of several throwout bearing assemblies, or what is the symptom that indicates failure?

The shaft is to small, the bearing is small. I have no other idea what you are asking? I have a new GM clutch ass. in the truck now, one in georgia, and the lok is out in the garage. It seems to be working fine, but my question is how long will it last? I can't find anyone in Tenn. Nashville area who I can trust to work on my truck. You are right, I am getting frustrated with spending all of this money on parts that don't hold up. I just got back on line after a pc crash.
mild bill

so you are saying you have a beefier than stock pressure plate, which is killing your OEM size throwout bearing?

Also, we still have not determined what style throwout bearing/slave cyl. you have. the external slave is replaceable w/o pulling tranny (essentially old style, with the arm and everything) or the internal slave, which requires tranny pulling to change, and the bearng is mounted to it.

If you are not satisfied with shaft size, maybe puting a NV4500HD from a cummins or V10 will hold up better/make you happier.
And, if all else fails, you could be the guinea pig for swapping in a ZF6 tranny from a d-max.

I have 94 3500 chev. with external slave.
My trans is a rebuilt nv 4500, now there have been some upgrades done to the trans., but I can't find the paper work since we moved up here from louisana. I remember the overdrive is a lot stronger, since I can feel comfortable pulling a load with it, but just on straight road.
Has this been any help in explaining myself??
MILD BILL

Well now we pretty much know what you tranny specs are, but I am unsure what your clutch issue is. Are you just unsatisfied with component life and would like to know if there is any upgrades?

Well now we pretty much know what you tranny specs are, but I am unsure what your clutch issue is. Are you just unsatisfied with component life and would like to know if there is any upgrades?

Have you seen the shaft and throw out bearing, arn't they bit small, for that size engine and load?
I would be interested in any upgrades, but I am concerned about the money set back. I have checked on the 373 rear end, the split shift gears. I have not found anything in my price range.
Mild Bill

Oh, I wonder, but they don't break often, so I don't worry. Heat and age (OEM @ 200+ K miles), not being too small, killed the throwout bearing on our 98 gasser, and AFAIK, they might be the same for that year diesel.

all of our NVs seem to love life, but we are at stock power on all, but the HD has seen some hefty loads in the short while we have had it. (20+K lbs. combo, 19 is OEM max combo)

Your engine

Have you rebuilt your engine yet? If may I suggest you take a look at the difference between the 6.2 and the 6.5. I was impressed enough to go with the 6.2, because I pulled my mic's out of the bag and went to it, there was more meat on the 6.2 after the bore, than the 6.5 before any work at all.
bill

special

Would you be interested in buying my truck from me, before I put more money into the interior, and new paint, with my tank, and running boards. I will make you a deal. It's all within two years on the mechanical end of the truck.

GM used an aluminum snout on their NV4500 which soon wears due to the to bearing sliding backards'n'for'ards, with resultant twisting and binding during clutching operations - Dodge, however, uses a cast-iron snout on their NV4500, which manual transmissions have traditionally used over two centuries - cast-iron does not wear like the softer aluminum, so the to bearings do not twist and bind - Dodge: just better ideas - check'em out at yer local Mr MoParts emporium...................

Sorry, but i have cast, you get it when you step up to the world of C3500HD!

But yeah, all other GM trucks had aluminum.

Dad complains a bit about these NVs, but we need to keep in mind we aquire our trucks toward the end on there service lives. One reason they do not so well is they are pushed past their limits of HP and GCWR, which is 19K for the NV4500LD.

The HD dodge is rated (i think) to 21 or 22K GCWR, and other than mainshaft/5th gear controversy, it is the superior tranny.

gmctd is right, cast is better in the long run.

Back