• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Clutch Recommendations for 92-95 NV4500 w/ SMF

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey all,

We got dad's 92 in the shop, I finally waited him out, and I will get my way. I am not being unreasonable, I do NOT want to put a used clutch back in that has a cracked in the center hub. ;)

this truck will at the most have an TMed GM8 (may have an ATT, but likely not) so I dont need huge holding ability, but it will need to launch with big loads, this HD has been north of 30K lbs. combo a few times. so smooth engagement would be awesome.
we also have poor follow through on projects, so I need it to be long lasting, so we dont have to touch it again.

I would like for it to be affordable, but if its the best thing on the planet, might be able to cut loose. Made in USA, Canada or other contries known for quality (Germany, etc) would be preferred.

What does everyone think of the Rock auto selection?

any recommendations appreciated, thanks!

On the 89 I used OEM clutches. The truck weighed about 8900 every day. Often more. I installed 3 clutches. The first clutch blew a spring. Everything looked good. I did not touch the flywheel.
The 2nd clutch had a bad throw out bearing. The clutch was still working fine. I drove for a week without a clutch because I was heading out at 4 on a Monday morning when it messed up. It was on it's 3rd clutch when the engine locked up.

I'm sure there is something better/heavier duty than OEM, but I had good luck with them

I have a sach in my one 3500 that I plow with and it lasted three years and had to install one last February and it is still working good. I have a luk in my 93 3500 drw, put this one in because I got a great deal at Napa since I started a account there. Both seem to be working great. the Sach I would say has about 15,000 to 20,000 miles on it and the luk about 5,000 miles. The sach clutch has pulled my truck with the plow on it, along with a 18' car trailer loaded with 8 big square bales of hay on the trailer. So guessing I had about 18,000lbs and the clutch did just fine have hauled multiple loads like this.

Back