• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Clunk

srode

Too many toys
Reaction score
I have a clunk / rattle in the right rear now when I go over bumps - fast or slow - less with the boat on the hitch - looked at all the springs and they look like all the end pieces are there to stop spring slap. it's a 2500 so no overloads, doesn't appear to be the exhaust (no rattles when I get under it and wiggle it) nerf bars don't clunk when I bounce on them - any suggestions?

I tried to shake the spare - no movement - will look at the hitch tomorrow - good idea - the reciever isn't in it and the bolts to the bumper are tight but haven't checked the frame bolts yet.

Wife won't let me crank the radio when she's in the car.. :(

I tried yanking on both shocks (Rancho RSX9000) and they didnt' move any so unless there's enough of a gas charge in them to bind them up unless unbolted - it's not the shocks, will check the tail light, center cap and flare out today too ..... if it ever stops raining here. Thanks for the suggestions

It's probably the rear springs slapping together...you said it lessons with the boat on it. There is a kit I believe you can get from the dealer..it is rubber inserts that go between the spring ends. Supposed to be a service bulletin out..call the dealer.;)

I would check the shocks / mounting bushings. That sounds like the only mod you have done so I would 100% check that area. Pull the socks off and see what happens. If noise is gone then shocks or bushings. If noise is still there was it worse or better?

Found it - Nerf bar - I had to pull up on the Nerf to notice it made the clunk - standing on it didn't do anything - Put a 1/2 inch gromet in the hole and a new fender washer - snugged it down and voila - no more clunk.

Back