• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Clearance/Running lights

HoytBows

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a set of the OEM running lights for my truck (nbs) that I want to install, but I don't have a model truck handy that I can pull measurements off. If I had a dealership close I would jump on top of one of theirs, but I don't. Any chance I can talk somebody into measuring their truck to see how far up off the windshield they need to be and then how far off center the side lights are? Again its a 2009, the new body style. Thanks in advance

its not to hard first just center up the middle light on the cab its only a couple of inchs back from the windshield, but it should have a rool in it so that will help in placement then for the 2 outside ones i dont rember how far i put them to the out side but you can always got till it looks right then copy on the other side

put a craigslist ad out? I think those who have done it make a paper template after pulling the clearance lights out of the cab, so find a truck with them, talk the guy into letting you pull them, draw a template, then install them for him and thank him for his time with a handshake and a case of beer.

I assume you are wanting it to be identical to OEM?

You can also use the lines in the roof to help align the lights. I can't help you with measurements, as I have an older body style. I would align them with the metal roof lines and set them back a few inches from the windshield.

would the dealer be able to get a template? if for their eyes only, how much do they charge to install? any screw up on their part would result in free body work! :)

"till they look good" is also interpreted by the individual, which may or may not be scary. In the past year I have seen 2 rangers and 1 S10 with cab clearance lights, and I bet their owners thought they looked mighty fine!!! :D and the poor 88-98 chevy half ton that didnt get a period correct set, but instead got a set of autozone universals.

Well I know that im not putting year specific ones on but then again im still staying with gm lights just going from 5 to 3

putting the 01-07 ones on?

IMO putting GMT800 stuff on a GMT400 is the only exception to the rule, the wheels especially. I got two, soon to be 3 rigs with the GMT800 alloys on them, and the clearance lights do look rather good. just dont put 73-87 cab lights on your 88-98! :D

I can't stand how all the newer cab lights have that 3-in-1 center piece. A couple weeks ago David (88gmctruck) and I put GMT-400 lights on my '83. Loooooks so good.

Anyone wants GM part numbers for stuff, lemme know, I am playing with the 2011 version of the parts catalog. ;)

aw come on, the 3 lights in one center housing is like chuck norris in a tuxedo. awesomeness contained in a classy looking container.

I hope your being sarcastic... That one piece uni-boob is hideous. If i ever end up with a Gmt800 with oem cablights, I'm having the extra holes filled and putting proper 5 piece lights up there.

But to each his own.

Sent from my TBI 454 powered android device.

dave, would you get 3 more outer ones and go that route?

I just like the look of them, I thought they looked good, but, like you said, to each their own.

also, do the GMT900 lights no-drill install on the GMT800s? mayble low pro LED would look better with the center unit.

Not sure about swapping from GMT800 to GMT900 lights, haven't had the 900's apart yet to know if they would fit directly on, but my best guess is no.

And yes, i would do 5 individual cablights. You guys might remember Brandon (07HDClassic) we installed 5 individuals and i think it looks SO SO SO much better than the 1-piece light.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back