• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Clear coat coming off my beautiful '97 Sierra

Poor baby!!! Thanx for the reply. I haven't had anyone look at it to give me a price. Would you say that process would be less than a new paint job?
Say what they will about NJ but guess what, we have some of the best laws in the US and there are no extremes of weather. I saw something about a guy who was traveling thru Oregon and he made a video complaining that he wasn't allowed to pump his own gas. He said, "This stupid state and ONE OTHER in the whole entire country don't allow you to pump your own gas." Yeah...that other state is New Jersey. Jon Corzine, Goldman Sachs Exec who got elected governor in 2006, tried to change it as the first thing he did after taking office, and the voters almost IMPEACHED him. Whodahell wants to pump their owm gas?

Actually I prefer to pump my own. Local full service place thought it was a good idea to put GAS in my truck.. even though I have big bold stickers that say DIESEL ONLY. That's actually how I joined this forum , was looking for advice how to fix it. Granted they wrote me a big check but wasn't worth having my truck down for weeks.

You could do it like a crashed car- just take off the hood or fender worth. Problems are getting it to match is hard, and how long before the next part starts letting go.
My paint skills are horrible btw, i just worked around real painters and watched them do magic. My hummer suffers abiut the worst paint/ clear coat one could imagine on a non rusty rig.

The maximum UV exposure areas. @Will L. is right. You can just try to treat the affected areas and hope like hell the new clear coat can be blended in to look the same as the weathered areas - and then have to deal with those old areas that then begin peeling loose in a few years, too. Or you can remove the clear coat down to the base coat and just reshoot the whole thing in a couple of new layers of clear and be done with it.

Then there's the option of just leave it be, they almost all do that, so who cares? And save yourself some money.

Back