• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

cleaning pistons.

I've used Brake Cleaner and a 3M Roloc wheel in an angle die grinder and they come out beautiful.

Here's an example of the last head gasket job i did. I didn't get those pistons really clean, but they aren't bad for a quick pass. I did however do the roloc wheel/brake clean approach on the block surface and that shines.

attachment.php

I've been able to get pistons to shine with the above method and maybe a minute or two on each piston.

Attachments

• 2010-01-11 17.59.04.jpg
    2010-01-11 17.59.04.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 62
good to hear, regular brake clean or that environmental friendly stuff?

Either or works it seems. I've used both types and gotten the same results. Just don't put huge amounts of pressure down on the piston crown when using the die grinder with the roloc wheel. You want to clean it, not mutilate it. Just spin the die grinder to max speed and press lightly and let the roloc disc do the work for you.

The Roloc's i use are the green roloc bristle wheels.
7526.jpg

Here's another shot of before and after i found on the internet.

Before

img087.jpg

After

CIMG0828.jpg

You can use immersion cleaner ie carb cleaner, used to use that all the time until I became friends with a machine shop, :thumbsup:

i take my propane turkey deep fryer, put some simple green and water in the big pot and FIRE R UP let it all boil for awhile. worls amsome for all parts

dawn power disolver from the oven cleaner section works extremly well. it is very mild you do not even have to wear gloves with it. you just need to remove it after 10 minutes or it tends to turn alumimun black in color.

i have used it to clean carbon out of gasser pcv systems on my cars.

wes
houston, tx

Back