• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Chinese made knockoff Waterpump vs GM one ??

Acesneights1

Reaction score
Was getting ready to upgrade the WP on my 93 with a 99+ Hub style . Just so happened I had the old factory Wp off my 2000. Side by side look at the difference where the impeller meets the housing. It is substantially different. WTF ? Should I use it ? I'm not sure if that would make the China one pump better or worse. I might run over to NAPA and see what there's looks like. This one was from Advance.

Attachments

• DSCF0009.jpg
    DSCF0009.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF0008.jpg
    DSCF0008.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0007.jpg
    DSCF0007.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 7
That much blocked flow and your overheating issues... You have your answer.

The impellor clearance on the old one is going to allow fluid to escape or curl backwards reducing flow. We see this a lot in agricultural crop sprayer impellor pumps where u use a dry flowable pesticide mixed in a fluid spray and the dry flowable wears the impellor some and the housing also and eventually u cant get enough pressure to get a good spray pattern from ur nozzles and have to change the pump out. Even worse is when u spray a custom liquid fertilizer since it is "dissolved" and put in suspension using a acid catalyst! Those Terra Gator pumps are HUGE!!!! Thye actually can machine the pump housing and put a oversize impellor in.

Was getting ready to upgrade the WP on my 93 with a 99+ Hub style . Just so happened I had the old factory Wp off my 2000. Side by side look at the difference where the impeller meets the housing. It is substantially different. WTF ? Should I use it ? I'm not sure if that would make the China one pump better or worse. I might run over to NAPA and see what there's looks like. This one was from Advance.
What makes you think the old pump is not china made??.
New one looks fine by me

The old PUMP is the factory one of my Dually. it was OEM. I was just about to install it because I don;t like the way the gasket fits the new one either. ON one side it barely touches and the gulleys/tubes are shorter on the new one. That old WP is a 2000+ . I had removed it because I could not get the fan clutch off so I replaced the whole WP but I got the clutch off it today.There was nothing wrong with that WP. I'll post some more pics. So you guys think the new one is better having the impellor more closed in like that ? It's possible the China one is a later design than my 2000 ??

Here are more pics. Note the one side of the WP looks to me mis-made vs the stock one. I am going to lay it on the timing case cover and see how it lines up with the hole. Remember this is not the burb I am working on today, but the 93.

Attachments

• DSCF0017.jpg
    DSCF0017.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF0019.jpg
    DSCF0019.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0020.jpg
    DSCF0020.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0018.jpg
    DSCF0018.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF0021.jpg
    DSCF0021.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 11
The plot thickens...Again let me say it one more time CHINA SUCKS, THEIR PARTS SUCK....DIE!!!
Ahhhh rant over. I will use the old GM WP from my Dually.I think the pics show why...BTW anyone ever installing any WP should check this as I did. I supposed I could hog out the China WP but why should I when I have a GM USA(or Canada)made one right here ready to go.

Attachments

• GM WP1.jpg
    GM WP1.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 6
  • chinese junk3.jpg
    chinese junk3.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 6
  • gm WP.jpg
    gm WP.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 7
  • chinese junk.jpg
    chinese junk.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 6
  • chinese junk1.jpg
    chinese junk1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 9
You know..SOB I wouldn't be surprised if this was the problem all along with my Dually and Tahoe....I would wonder if the Heath one fits any better.

Bosch USED to make the water pumps for GM untill the first stage of bankruptcy. Bosch jumped off the crashing GM wagon. More than likely the water pumps came from China after that. On all the 95 and older trucks that I have put the HO water pumps on, I had to grind out the lower A/C- vac pump bracket for the larger water passage on the HO pump. I'm pretty shure the 97 Gates pumps I've bought lately were made in USA.

IMG_1365_450.jpg IMG_1393_478.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1391_476.jpg
    IMG_1391_476.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 7
I could have ground out the waterpump housing but the thing was 150$ and the GM one I had there was nothing wrong with so 140$ is better in my pocket. It is so FRIGGIN hot out I have to keep the tools in the shde or they get to hot to pickup. 102f 112f on the heat index. I am dying out here.

I could have ground out the waterpump housing but the thing was 150$ and the GM one I had there was nothing wrong with so 140$ is better in my pocket. It is so FRIGGIN hot out I have to keep the tools in the shde or they get to hot to pickup. 102f 112f on the heat index. I am dying out here.

Had the heat here for the better part of last week. I didn't do any more than I had to outside. I went and jumped in a lake a couple times.

Had the heat here for the better part of last week. I didn't do any more than I had to outside. I went and jumped in a lake a couple times.

Sure,,, If I were to tell you to go jump in a lake,, you'd get all bent,, Ah ha ha ha ha ha. My grandpa would say, hotter than a 2 peckered billygoat. I don't know about that, but it has been hot here too, that's why I'm in the house! =)

I'm done, she's back together and not a moment too soon. I took today off because of the heat. What a dope, My SUV at work has a/c here I am sweatin my balls off outside...No leaks. Will test drive later. Pool now.

Back